StoreEver Tape Storage
1752795 Members
5912 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks DAT 160 USB - The right backup solution for me?

Aidan Mallon

StorageWorks DAT 160 USB - The right backup solution for me?

Hi,

I work for a small company and am think about purchasing the above backup solution.

I need to backup a Windows Server 2003 running Exchange 2003 and well as user stores.

Currently I'm using a Sony SDT-10000 tape drive with DDS-4 tapes. We have out grown this solution.

I want something that is backward compatible with our existing tapes. I read that DAT 160 drives can read DDS-4 tapes. Is this correct?

We currently use Windows Backup, will this new drive be compatible with Windows Backup?

Our Server is just a standard windows box (no fancy blades here), if I go for the internal version of this drive will I have to run a USB cable from the inside of the machine to a USB port on the outside of the box? Our server doesn't have any USB ports inside the case.
2 REPLIES 2
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

The HP DAT160 drive will read DDS-4 tapes.
The internal models of the HP DAT160 are supplied with a cable to connect to the USB ports on your motherboard. Most motherboard have USB connectors.
We also supply a special cable to take your outside connector through an I/O slot to the inside.
For an external model we supply standard USB cable/ Windows Backup is compatible with DAT160. I would advise longterm that you move to a proper backup application such as Backup Exec. or HP DataProtector.
Aidan Mallon

Thanks, thats just the info I was looking for.

Aidan