StoreEver Tape Storage
1758859 Members
2784 Online
108876 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks DAT 40x6 Firmware Upgrade FAILED!

SOLVED
Go to solution
meloni
Honored Contributor

I can confirm you that I have the 9.01 rev 4691 version too, and backups are runnig fine. the problem is at the moment just with L&TT
marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1127942

Does that mean that the error is totally related to the firmware upgrade procedure used from L&TT?

The functionality of the device is given and backups are working as expected?
CA1120211
Advisor

Glad you all are getting help. I still have heard nothing back. My Backup Exec is v9.0 Build 4202 for Netware. Backup software will not load with the 40x6 autoloader installed.
CA1120211
Advisor

OK, LT&T version 3.5 is now available and works correctly with the 40x6 Autoloader. The firmware upgrade to U312 was successful.

Now, hopefully my Veritas Bakup Exec 9.0 will load and run. That's my next step.

CA1141039

Todd,

I am using the same Version of Backup Exec and tape autoloader as you. I could not get the autoloader to work until I downgraded the firmware to H107. I am curious to know if you ever get yours to work with Firmware Version H312. Thanks! Steve
CA1145677
Occasional Advisor

I received a tape unit with H307 loaded, this did not work, I upgraded to H312 which still did not work, I then downgraded to H107 and BackupExec loaded.

CA1120211
Advisor

Steve & Angela,

It looks like I'm going to have to downgrade the firmware to H107 as well. How did you do this? Did you have to get specific help from HP techs?

Please help!
Thanks
CA843380
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Todd,

You can use LTT to downgrade your firmware to H107.

Use the "get firmware from web" option in LTT and select "show all firmware for all supported devices option" Scroll down the list and select H107 for product C5713A for download.

To downgrade this firmware to your device you will need to phone up HP support for a temporary LTT password. This will activate the options button on the update firmware part of LTT and in there is a tickbox to allow firmware downgrade.

Then select your device in the firmware update part of LTT and select H107 as the firmware and click on start to complete process.

Apologies that the downgrade process is so long winded. Downgrading is something we try to discourage as more recent versions of firmware will have fixes that we want to ensure our customers have. Unfortunately, on rare occasions we have the odd issue like this that appears to only work with older firmware at present.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
CA1141039

Dave is absolutely correct in his response to getting a Firmware downgrade. There is a good reason for Firmware updates and that is to fix a problem with how hardware functions. I just feel software vendors need to be more proactive in keeping up with these firmware updates instead of telling us there is nothing wrong with their software. In my situation, I found Veritas to be very unresponsive to what I found from hours of troubleshooting for them. I wanted Firmware Revision H312 to work with BackupExec, but instead had to settle for H107 because my findings fell upon deaf ears.

Steve
CA1120211
Advisor

Ok, got the password, downloaded the H107 firmware, and tried the downgrade procedure. Everything looked great until the very end of the progress bar when it displayed a message stating "Upgrade failed!". Upon exiting and reloading L&TT, everything appears normal and the formware version is reported as H107. Is the "Failed" message normal on a downgrade process? I hope I didn't royally toast it now.

Thanks for the help!!!
Todd