StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StorageWorks DAT 72 USB Cleaning

Highlighted

StorageWorks DAT 72 USB Cleaning

I have a DAT 72 USB internal tape drive. The backup software says that I need to clean it and I probably need to. I havn't done any cleaning since I installed it. However, I'm not sure how to do it. According to the tape drive user's guide I should just insert a cleaning tape and then the cleaning should proceed automatically. When I do this, the tape is ejected within approx 15 seconds. I tried it three times but the software still says I should clean it. Either it needs more cleaning or nothing really happened. I tend to think the latter.

Grateful for tips (I'm using a windows server 2003)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: StorageWorks DAT 72 USB Cleaning

You should clean a DAT drive every 24h of tape motion. Cleaning is a warning that its hard to get rid off, it goes away by itself.
How old is your cleaning cartridge ?

here is a link about cleaning
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00065867

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Highlighted

It is about two years old and I've seriously neglected cleaning. I have used the tape three times. I try to find out if the cleaning I do now makes any difference. Doesn't take more than 15-30 seconds to clean the drive. Isn't it more to it than just inserting the cleaning tape ?

rgs, Joakim
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

15s its to fast maybe the cleaning cartridge is expired.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> Isn't it more to it than just inserting
> the cleaning tape ?

No. Inserting a good cleaning tape should just work.

Have you tried power cycling the tape drive to see if the error goes away ?

Cheers,

Rob