4194 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape drive serial numbers change when a new host is zoned to see drives

Matt Shaffer_1
Regular Advisor

Tape drive serial numbers change when a new host is zoned to see drives

Here's the scenerio:
Within DP 5.5 (Win cell manager), I have 3 hosts that have media agents installed. One is the cell manager and the 2 others are Win clients who have fibre running to the TAN switch. One day last week we brought up a new host and ran fibre to the TAN switch and I created a zone on the switch so this host can see the 8 tape drives in our environment (4 drives in 2 MSL tape libraries. Once I did this, the serial numbers on the drives changed in DP 5.5. So for the 3 orig hosts that have the media agent running, we had to rescan the drives so that they would see the new serial numbers. We also have the check box checked to automatically discover changed SCSI address. I guess this wouldn't detect changes to the serial number but I thought I'd mention it.
Does anyone know what I can do to stop this behavior? Please let me know if I need to provide more info.

THANK YOU
Matt
2 REPLIES 2
Alex Gold

Hi,
HP changed two of our faulty drives in MSL5000 series library with four drives.
Eversince the tape 1 in the DP5.5 gui shows the same serial number as drive 3 but If I execute the devbra -dev command it shows the right serial number. All jobs running on drive 1 fail with the error device not found. I reloaded the serial number on either drives but did not resolve the problem. Please help
Matt Shaffer_1
Regular Advisor

now on dp 6.0