cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tape Drive StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader tape backup very slow

Highlighted

Tape Drive StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader tape backup very slow

Hi,
can anyone help me with the following issue: every day we write all our backups op tape, but since last week, the tape drive needs in place of 3hours more than 15hours... it completes the job, but very slow. I noticed that on the back of the tape drive the SCSI terminator gives a red light (before green LDV mode) now SE (single-end mode). Could it be that the tape drive scsi terminator is defect? help please!
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

It sounds like so anyway run LTT attact a support ticket.

www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Valued Contributor

Hello Katrien,

if the Bus now opperates in single ended mode the speed would go down and that would the drive not allow to stream the data to tape. You might see that also see or hear that the media has to stop and move back and forward again.
I would check cabling and terminator (specially if lately the hardware was touched). The cables could be loose or if taken off lately pins could be bend. Since the terminator is an active element you have a good chance that it is really defective, but keep in mind there is another terminator on the other end of the bus on the HBA.
I hope the information helps,
Ralf.
Highlighted

could it be caused by incorrect power-up sequence of the server and the external tape library?
Highlighted

We have just checked and there is only one SCSI Terminator on the tape drive, on the other side (server side) none. So it could mean the terminator is broke?
Last week we did indeed restart the server and tape drive in the sequence: first shut down tape drive, then server, then startup tape drive, then server (otherwise the server does not recognize the tape drive). The backup on tape took in the past a 4 hours, now it is about 15 hours, and the whole backup shedule is chaos, we need like 35 hours in one day.