New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape library

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alaa_Adnan
Occasional Advisor

Tape library

Hi,
We're about to install an msl4048 tape library and I have a question: do I need any form of software app. on windows server to perform read/write to the tapes ?? I'm new to this and very little youtube vedios and documentation are available.
10 REPLIES 10
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

Hello Alaa,

Thank you for choosing HPE.

To perform backups to the tape ibrary you would need a software which is aware of tape libraries.

Data Protector is one of the several softwares which is aware of Tape Libraries and you can schedule backups based upon your needs.

Since this is a new purchase, you should have an active warranty and you could call our support centers anytime to know more about functionalities of the library and backups.

To help you out this is the link for user guide of the library:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04006690

The Data Protector tech sheet is here:

https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/products/data-protector-backup-recovery-software/overview

Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
Alaa_Adnan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sir,
Thank you very much for your response and the useful information. Actually my tape library deployment is quite simple one work station to the library via fcp and HBA ( no client server deployment ) so is there any simpler solutions as I'm not sure that I can justify purchasing a rather sophisticated software to achieve this simple task. I looked to the DP it is a great app but for more complex tasks. Thanks alot again for responding
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

Hello Alaa

Most of the softwares are pretty sophisticated. However you could look at these softwares too:

https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/spock/utility/document.aspx?docurl=Shared%20Documents/hw/nearline/StoreEver_DAPRMatrix.pdf

Page 22 and 23

Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
Alaa_Adnan
Occasional Advisor

Hello Rajat
Well I've been looking for simpler solutions I think I kinda misunderstood the concept of tape libraries I thought that since it is SCSI over fiber the tape derive/ or library will appear as a partition on my computer just like a DVD rom or an HDD partition. So how about storeopen standalone will it work with the tape library? or the storeopen automation cause simple LTFS is just what I need for my work. I think I underestimated this subject
Thank you for your patience.
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello Alaan,

Not a problem at all.

Here to assist you as much as I can.

StoreOpen Automation is a good option if you are looking for a drag and drop solution. I hope I understood you correctly.

Following is the data Sheet for StoreOpen software available:

https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/PSN4249221USEN.pdf

From what I am seeing in the matrix I sent above, StoreOpen software does not support MSL4048 libraries. It only supports Autoloaders.

Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
Alaa_Adnan
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much for your support and help I think I'll use storeopen automation as it suffices for now.
Alaa_Adnan
Occasional Advisor

Hi again @Rajat Bhargava,

Kindly I'd like you to view the photo of  the pdf for storeopen automation user guide page 7 as it clearly states that this software supports MSL4048 with lto7 tapes which what I have exactly. I tried to download the software but no luck the link in the website is unreachable. Kindly I need your feedback about this as I'm running out of time also any suggestions about any software to operate the tapes as LTFS 

Thank you very much 

Regards 

Barry_Reider
HPE Pro

Hello @Alaa_Adnan

It looks like you have two products confused, which is easy to do.

StoreOpen Automation (the user guide you are referencing) did support tape libraries using LTFS. It was discontinued about a year ago, which is why you can't find the software, but the user guide is still posted to assist any customers who had it.

StoreOpen Standalone is the current LTFS offering, and it supports the following products:

• HPE StoreEver LTO-8 Ultrium SAS standalone tape drives and media.
  • HPE StoreEver LTO-7 Ultrium SAS standalone tape drives and media.

• HPE StoreEver LTO-6 Ultrium SAS standalone tape drives and media.

• HPE StoreEver LTO-5 Ultrium SAS standalone tape drives and media.

• HPE StoreEver 1/8 Autoloaders with LTO-5, LTO-6, LTO-7, and LTO-8 tape drives and media (Windows only).

Version 3.3.0 is the current version of the StoreOpen Standalone, but it will not support your MSL G3 4048 library. Check the support matrix that Rajat mentioned earlier in the thread to find other compatible software.

Thanks, Barry_Reider

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Barry's response is exactly correct - StoreOpen currently does not support the 4048 tape library.

There is however a way to use the StoreOpen software with a tape library but it is awkward.  The only way I am aware of to use the HPE StoreOpen software with a 4048 is to run it as if the drives are standalone drives.  On a Windows platform StoreOpen will let you connect 1 or 2 tape drives.  If you install that software and select the tape drives in your 4048 library the software will treat them as standalone tape drives and run the LTFS software against the tapes in the drives.

You have to use the web interface on the library to move the tapes to/from the drive or some other software that can contrl the tape library. 

To change a tape you have to unmount from the computer, use the library web interface to change the tape, mount the new tape from your computer.  Not easy but it does allow LTFS access to the tapes in a library.

If you just want backup but can't purchase backup software another option is to search for an opensource tape backup software solution.  There are a couple that I know of and while I haven't looked at either in several years both were available free with professional support purchase optional.  I tried a quick search and both of the ones I'm familiar with came up and it looked like there might even be some others now.  I think a paid/supported software package like Data Protector is best, especially for people new to tape, but there are options.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo