1751975 Members
5248 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape Tools (hp_ltt) Support For C1537A DDS-3 Drive

ANDREW PIZIALI
Advisor

Tape Tools (hp_ltt) Support For C1537A DDS-3 Drive

When I attempt to use the HP StorageWorks Tape Tools (hp_ltt) to find and operate my C1537A drive, it fails to find the drive. I've attempted to use both "Hardware Scan" and "Saved/Manual Scan." When I supplied the device name "/dev/nst0" to "Saved/Manual Scan," it once attempted to download a file from HP via FTP but this did not succeed.

What is required for hp_ltt to recognize this installed DDS-3 drive?

I am running Fedora Core 8 on a Pentium 4 ATX machine with an LSI Logic LSI20320-R host bus adapter.

Thank you.
17 REPLIES 17
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

Hi Andrew,

L&TT does not support Fedora Core 8 however, it may run in this environment as we support RedHat Linux versions.

Are you able to see the drive in '/proc/scsi/scsi' output? If yes, L&TT would be able to detect the drive. Additionally, in saved scan method, the path would be /dev/sgx 'x' is the number that is mapped to the tape drive. Eg /dev/sg0.

Regards,
Satya
L&TT Team
ANDREW PIZIALI
Advisor

Satya, you wrote:

> L&TT does not support Fedora Core 8 however, it may run in this environment as we support RedHat Linux versions.

> Are you able to see the drive in '/proc/scsi/scsi' output?

Yes; note the "Host: scsi2" entry below:

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: WDC WD800BB-00DK Rev: 77.0
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: LITE-ON Model: LTR-52246S Rev: 6S0D
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: SONY Model: DVD-ROM DDU1611 Rev: GYS1
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
+ Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
+ Vendor: HP Model: C1537A Rev: L706
+ Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> If yes, L&TT would be able to detect the drive. Additionally, in saved scan method, the path would be /dev/sgx 'x' is the number that is mapped to the tape drive. Eg /dev/sg0.

dmesg(1) reports the tape device as /dev/sg3:

scsi 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 1

However, when I enter "/dev/sg3" for the device name, hp_ltt displays the message "Downloading the file from HP FTP-site" but never proceeds beyond this point. What file is it attempting to download? From what location is it attempting to down this file?

Thank you.
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

LTT is checking the Internet (HP Site) to check if there is any updates for the application & tape drives (firmware). Despite the message, one should be able to use other features... what happens if you press Enter button?

Are you taken to the help menu? Do you see the device listed in LTT's UI?

Can you attach the EventLog.ltt (/opt/ltt) after initializing a hardware scan?

The log might be able to tell us why it is unable to detect the device

Thank you,
Satya
ANDREW PIZIALI
Advisor

Satya, you wrote:

> LTT is checking the Internet (HP Site) to check if there is any updates for the application & tape drives (firmware).

Why is LTT unable to complete this operation? Is there a log of the failed attempt? I would like to keep this C1537A firmware up-to-date.

> Despite the message, one should be able to use other features... what happens if you press Enter button?

Attached is a log of my use of hp_ltt ("LTT") to answer your questions, file ltt_run_log.txt. Text enclosed in "<<<<< ... >>>>>" are my comments and questions.

> Are you taken to the help menu?

Yes. As reported in the attached file, a 14-command help menu is displayed.

> Do you see the device listed in LTT's UI?

No. As seen in the attached log, no devices are reported under "Libraries/Autoloaders," "Processors/Enclosures," "Drives" or "Other Devices."

> Can you attach the EventLog.ltt (/opt/ltt) after initializing a hardware scan?

LTT only finds one device during a hardware scan, the single ATA hardware at /dev/sg0. Is LTT able to find devices on all detected host controllers (IOCs)? They are reported in /var/log/messages as:

Oct 9 16:08:29 piziali kernel: scsi0 : pata_sis
Oct 9 16:08:29 piziali kernel: scsi1 : pata_sis
Oct 9 16:08:29 piziali kernel: scsi2 : ioc0: LSI53C1030 C0, FwRev=01033010h, Ports=1, MaxQ=222, IRQ=19

scsi0 and scsi1 are ATA controllers mapped to the Linux kernel subsystem. scsi2 is a physical LSI Logic LSI20320-R host bus adapter installed on the PCI bus.

> The log might be able to tell us why it is unable to detect the device

Once LTT is able to write this log, I will upload it.

Thank you for your continued assistance in diagnosing this failure.
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

EventLog.ltt is created very time hp_ltt is executed. This file can be found at /opt/ltt/logs folder. Could you attach this log.

Regards,
Satya
ANDREW PIZIALI
Advisor

The EventLog.ltt file from my last run of hp_ltt is attached.
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

I am unable to conclude based on the current EventLog.ltt information. LTT knows there exists a SCSI tape drive but it is failing to detect the drive for some reason. Could you follow the below steps and send me a new EventLog.ltt?

1. Initialize LTT
2. Select 'Hardware scan'
3. Enter command> continue
4. Enter command> preference
5. Enter command> 4 # add IO history to Event log
6. Enter command> up
7. Enter command> rescan # to rescan the device
8. Enter command> exit

Thank you,
Satya
ANDREW PIZIALI
Advisor

> I am unable to conclude based on the current EventLog.ltt information. LTT knows there exists a SCSI tape drive but it is failing to detect the drive for some reason. Could you follow the below steps and send me a new EventLog.ltt?

Attached is the EventLog.ltt with I/O history and a log of my command line shell session.

> 1. Initialize LTT

Okay.

> 2. Select 'Hardware scan'

Okay.

> 3. Enter command> continue

Okay.

> 4. Enter command> preference

LTT displays "Error: Invalid commandline" when I attempt to run the "preference" command (please see attached log). The commands allowed at this point are exit, up, clear, continue, enterHWAddrManual, hardwarescan, select, selectAll and unselectAll. I chose "enterHWAddrManual" and entered the device file name "/dev/sg3." LTT responded with "Downloading the file from HP FTP-site."

I then entered "preference."

> 5. Enter command> 4 # add IO history to Event log

Okay.

> 6. Enter command> up

Okay.

> 7. Enter command> rescan # to rescan the device

I note LTT reports "'csi_adapter' at address '1-0-0', driver: unknown." This is an ATA interface mapped to a virtual SCSI host adaptor by the Linux kernel to which a CD writer and DVD reader are attached. /var/log/messages reports at boot:

... Oct 9 16:08:29 piziali kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM LITE-ON LTR-52246S 6S0D PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
... Oct 9 16:08:29 piziali kernel: scsi 1:0:1:0: CD-ROM SONY DVD-ROM DDU1611 GYS1 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

LTT reports "other device" in response to the rescan:

....... 1 ATA WDC WD800BB-00DK (Address: 0.0.0)

> 8. Enter command> exit
ANDREW PIZIALI
Advisor

This forum refused to attach two separate files to my previous message so attached to this message is one file, EventLog.ltt and typescript concatenated to one another.