StoreEver Tape Storage
1751971 Members
4778 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm3, did not respond within the timeout period

Julie Barnes
Occasional Contributor

The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm3, did not respond within the timeout period

I also have a ticket open with Symantec regarding this issue...

I have a ProLiant ML570 G2 that is attached to an external drive enclosure with an Ultrium-2 SCSI and an Ultrium-4 SCSI. The Ultrium-2 works fine using Backup Exec 12.5. The Ultrium-4 used to work fine when backing up, but would error out when restoring.

Here are the errors:
The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm3, did not respond within the timeout period.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm3.
SCSI bus fault occurred on Storage Box box 0, , Port 0 of
Array Controller in slot 3.
This may result in a "downshift" in transfer rate for one or more hard drives on the bus.

I ran Live Update and installed Symantec's latest Hot Fix. Now I can't do a backup either.
I get the "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm3" error.

The Ultrium-4 (problem child) is attached via a Smart Array 6400 Controller. The Ultrium-2 is attached to the on-board SCSI controller.

Is my problem the fact that my Ultrium-4 is attached to an array controller? I'm leaning towards this even though Symantec is telling me I have a faulty drive or controller.

Thanks in advance.
Julie
4 REPLIES 4
Pramod Unni
Occasional Advisor

Re: The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm3, did not respond within the timeout period

Hi,

Are there any internal SCSI HDDs connected to this array controller,try the following it might resolve your issue,
1. Update the Array controller firmware to the latest (Better to upgrade the whole server itself using firmware maintenance CD).

2. Update the storport drivers (You can download the Latest HP PSP & update all HP drivers).

Most cases it should resolve the issue,Else just double confirm the SCSI cables.
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Hello Julie,

Your suspicion may be right, as HP usually don't recommend SCSI tapes to be attached to a SmartArray controller, an things can get a little messy when you have hard drives and tape drives on the same card, usually one of them ends up confused :).

I've been checking compatibility for the ML570 G2 and a LTO4 drive and looks it is out of scope...

Anyway while checking compatibility found that this is one of the recommended cards for LTO4 drives: 268351-B21, which is also supported on your server. (I still think you may have some performance issues as these drives are extremely fast and your system may not catch up with it)

But I am pretty sure that if you move the Tape Drive to a dedicated SCSI controller you will fix those errors

Hope this helped :)
Julie Barnes
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your replies!

Efrain, my hard drives are running off of a separate controller...a Smart Array Controller in slot 1. The Ultrium-2 is running off of SCSI Controller port 2 on the system board. And the Ultrium-4 is running on the Smart Array Controller in slot 3. Do you think it might work if I move the Ultrium-4 to the onboard SCSI controller?

I am checking into the card you recommended as well. Again, thank you for your help!
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Yes, that will probably give you possitive results *but* checking on the Quickspecs for your server the integrated controller is an Ultra3 chip (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11421_na/11421_na.html)

The LTO4 requires an Ultra320 card, so my advise is still to get a separate card for it :)

Regards,