1753717 Members
4427 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

timestamp of folders not preserved using Data Protector Express

Vijairaj Ravunny
Occasional Contributor

timestamp of folders not preserved using Data Protector Express

I have a problem with the backup using HP Data Protector Express. When i restored the data from the LTO-3 tape the time stamp of the folders are not preserved. The time stamp is present time stamp when executing the restore.
1. I have backed up the data with Selection Filters Allow Parents and Allow Children checked.
2. While restore also the Selction Filters Allow Parents and Allow Children checked. I have restored to new location .
3. When a file in a sub folder is selected and the folder containing it is not selected by cross--the result is file has permissions, ownership and time stamp preserved but folders from top to present are having permissions ok, timestamp present timestamp, ownership root (I logged in the OS as root).
4. When a folder is selected for restore (cross mark for folder) and some sub folders also selected. The restore has the folders ownership and permissions ok but time stamp is new timestamp.
4 REPLIES 4
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Re: timestamp of folders not preserved using Data Protector Express

Hi Vijairaj:

You did not say what version and Build of DPX you are using.

Make sure that you are using the latest released versions of DPX i.e. DPX 3.5 SP2 Build 37634 or DPX 4.0 SP1 Build 43064.

Dave W.
Vijairaj Ravunny
Occasional Contributor

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your mail.
The DPX version we use is
Data Protector Express Version 3.50-sp2 (build 34497).

The folders if restored will not have the original timesatmp when we tried. So is this issue of this build and which build and version you recommend.

Best Regards,
Vijairaj R
Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

Apart from DPX this may be an OS issue as well.
Recent Windows versions display the date of folders when last something in them was changed.
Using manual processes you can demonstrate this.
Create a folder, note the time.
Create or copy files into the folder.
Note the time again.
Given sufficient time between the actions you'll see the date/time of the folder reflects the changes inside it.

On Win2k3 I've seen a restore created and set folder dates right. Then files were written inside the folders, which (by the OS) caused the folder date te change again.
Vijairaj Ravunny
Occasional Contributor

Dear Andr├Г┬й ,
I really agre with you about the point that "if we create folder and then copy data to it the folder time stamp changes."

But if you use a command
cp -pr /some_path/data .
then the folder data and its contenets will have the original time stamp.

So a backed up data having particular time stamp and ownership , if restored using a backup and restore software, then the software must have preserved the time stamp while backing up and same time stamp whould be present in the restored data.

I think that is a main requirement of a backup software.

Best Regards
Vijairaj R