1752723 Members
6568 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Travan 40 GIG Tape Drive

Chris Madison
Frequent Advisor

Travan 40 GIG Tape Drive

It is an internal tape drive. I orginally had an External Tape drive and what did run on Windows 2000. I have been able to get Sonic's Backup My PC software to use this drive. I know the drive can read a 20GB tape, but I am having trouble writing data to it. Do you know if a 40 GIG drive can write to a 20 GIG tape?

Chris
3 REPLIES 3
TimBrierley
Advisor

Chris , I asked you before for the product number . I see also that you "had" a T20 before which of course was not a 40GB drive .
What is written on the Tape media you are using ? As far as I know HP never made a Colorado 40GB drive since the last one was the T20 ( 10GB= 20GB with 2:1 compression)

he HP SureStore T20 brings you a great backup and restore solution with low overall costs and great ease-of-use features. Using the software data compression, the HP SureStore T20 allows you to back up as much as 20 gigabytes (GB) of data, at rates as high as 120 megabytes (MB) per minute. This is ample space for many small-business server backups. A versatile solution, the HP SureStore T20 is compatible with the most common operating systems used in small businesses. Drive can be used for program distribution, migration, data interchange, and save and restore of data between disk storage and tape. The Tape Drive is a streaming tape drive that attaches internally to the many family's of workstations and servers. It provides a capacity of 10 GB (20 GB with 2: 1 compression) data storage per cartridge
Chris Madison
Frequent Advisor

The FRU #: TD3200-105
M/N: STT2401A
S/N HP0B3WW

I believe this is the model #, it says: MY050712 above the serial Number

Here is the URL for the drive:
http://www.9to5computer.com/dell/dell-travan-40-tape-drive.html

I also have the HP Colorado 20 GB external tape drive. When I could no not get this drive to no longer work and was showing errors, I figured it was at the end of it's life. I then went out and located the 40/20 GB tape drive. And I remember when I first purchased the 20 GB external tape drive. There was another drive with bigger capacity which I did not purchase because it was more money and I did not think my computer would have that much data to back up.
Chris Madison
Frequent Advisor

On the media is data of my personal computers that I have backed up. I also backup to a usb external harddrive. I also backup to tape to be sure that I will not loose the data due to failure on the drives or something related.