StoreEver Tape Storage
1751839 Members
5341 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 448 - Tapes Show As Write Protected

Scott_Beck

Ultrium 448 - Tapes Show As Write Protected

Using HP 200GB tapes(C7971A). When server first installed two weeks ago(HP ML350 G5), got two perfect backups. Updated Operating System (SBS2003 R2, which included driver updates for the tape drive)and the following week the backups started to fail. Troubleshooting showed (using Veritas 10)that the software was unable to load the media and that media showed as write protected. Rolled back the driver to the original version that had provided initial two good backups. Same result, tapes show as write protected.

Started troubleshooting with L&TT software. Updated tape drive firmware. L&TT show the tapes show as write protected as well.

Have double and triple checked the tapes, the write protect tab is NOT engaged, they are in write enable.

Have now tried 14 brand new, straight out of the wrapper tapes, and they all show as write protected.

Been troubleshooting this issue for several days...luckily I am bald or would have pulled my hair out by now....what am I missing? Look forward to any suggestions. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

look in the front door of the tape drive on the left side and look at the write protect switch on your tape. There is a very small black plastic "pin" (about the size of a pencil lead)that sticks up and is on a rotating shaft. When the tape is write protected the pin is allowed to go inside the tape which inidicates it is write protected. If not write protected, the pin is forced down. It is possible to break this pin off if you first insert the tape and then move the write protect switch on the tape. If this has happened the drive must be replaced
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Scott_Beck

Thank you. Thinking it might not be the issue though as none of the tapes have actually had the write protect tabs engaged, either in or out of the drive...but one never knows. Will check it.
Kiran Kalyani

Hi, We are also using the same Ultrim448, past 4 years its working fine but suddenly its showing tape as an write protected "Media Write protected" its unlock from the tape left side knotch, but still its showing the error, we are not able to take the Backup, could you please any one help on this?....
Waiting for solution...
Thanks in advance
Paul Edelman

I am also getting this message on my tapes. Cannot erase, format, or identify. And backups get the 1401 error (wrong media). I did check in the drive and didn't see anything suspicious.