cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultrium 920 and Tape Tools

Highlighted

Ultrium 920 and Tape Tools

Hi,
I have a Ultrium 920 tape drive and I installed Tape Tools 4.5.
During scan process I get this error message:
"An error occured while accesing the device. If the device has been hot-plugged or firmware updated then please try a re-scanto re-discover the device"
I tried that, I restarted the computer, changed the SCSI ID of the tape but it is just the same.
Using Symantec Backup Exec 11d the tape works fine.
If I move the tape drive on an identical server with the same cable and software it works just fine.
The server I use is Proliant ML 370G3 and the builtin SCSI adapter.
I use Windows 2000 server SP4 and the 2m cable provided with the tape drive.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Ultrium 920 and Tape Tools

The error message isn't as clear as it might be but it may be the Backup Exec service that's getting in the way.

Can you try stopping any Backup Exec services that may also be talking to the drive?

The message that comes up if the driver is locked by another application is more specific to this kind of issue so I'm puzzled about the message you're seeing.

Worth a go though.

Richard (LTT team)
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Highlighted

I tried to stop Backup exec services but the error message still apears.
Anyway your theory about conflict between Backup Exec and Tape Tools is plausible because on every computer I tried Tape Tools and worked Backup Exec is not installed (only the client software is). This is the only computer where Tape Tools doesn't work and the only one with Backup Exec installed.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

One more thing to check...

I've been looking to see if the internal SCSI HBA of the ML370 G3 is officially supported for tape drives as you have to be careful with some of the RAID centric HBAs - most of them don't work with tape.

It seems there are two possibilities with the ML370 G3. The standard one is OK but the high performance version has a Smart Array 6402 SCSI controller which doesn't work so well with tape. Do you know which one you've got there?

LTT uses a lot of diagnostic commands which aren't always supported by the drivers. Sometimes the tape drives appear to work with the backup application but LTT struggles to talk to it. Quite frustrating but that's the nature of diagnostic tools. We can't do the clever things we need to by sticking with standard backup commands...

If you do have the RAID controller in there then you'll need to add an extra HBA for the tape drive.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong