1752700 Members
5643 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 920 problems with Backup Exec

Peps_1
Occasional Contributor

Ultrium 920 problems with Backup Exec

We have an HP 1/8 Ultrium 920 G2 Autoloader hanging off the back of a Compaq Proliant ML350 G2 running Windows 2003 Standard and Backup Exec 11.

The solution has been working fine since we bought the autoloader about three monthas ago, now our backups are sitting Queued waiting for a tape to be loaded. Tapes are there, but are showing up on the Autoloader's web interace as 'Media Error' and backup exec thinks that each of the tapes is a cleaning tape!

The autoloader status is Ready and there are no warning lights on the device.

Do you think my autoloader has gone faulty or does anybody know if this is a known issue that I can resolve?

Thanks.
Ian
6 REPLIES 6
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi Ian,

Did you try doing a re-inventory of the autoloader from Veritas BEWS? This souuld not be a hardware issue

I will suggest you to check the firmware of the autoloader, confirm that you are using the latest Veritas device drivers for the autloader.

Also check the SCSI HBA is having the latest device drivers & firmware. Other way to do this is to update the PSP of the server to the newest available

Regards
Rajanikant
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

This should be more helpful

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190522.htm
Peps_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rajanikant,

No joy so far. I have installed the latest PSP, I have the latest firmware for SCSI card, Autoloader and server. I have latest Windows and Veritas drivers for the autoloader.

I have also done a re-inventory in Backup Exec, the job appears to complete successfully yet the log file show the following error;

e0008231 - Library - cleaning media was mounted.

There is only one Autoloader device on this server.

Any further advice please ?

Thanks,
Ian
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Can you please foreward me the bediag report and the logs generated in Veritas for better understanding of the problem

regards

Rajanikant
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Can you please foreward BEdiag report and the logs generated in Veritas for better understanding of the problem

regards

Rajanikant
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Can you please post support tickets for the drive and library so we can take a look and see if there is anything indicating why the tapes cause a media error?

You can use L&TT from www.hp.com/support/tapetools to pull a support ticket which will be a single lzt file or you can use the library web interface if the firmware on the autoloader is the latest and pull a ticket for the drive and the library then zip the two files. If your firmware isn't up to date then the drive support ticket function isn't available and you will have to use L&TT.