StoreEver Tape Storage
1752808 Members
6079 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 920 SAS not shown under NTBackup/Storageworks

Ultrium 920 SAS not shown under NTBackup/Storageworks

Run into what seems to be a simple issue, but can't seem to get around it. I have a Ultrium 920 SAS connected to a Proliant DL380 G5, and it is successfully recognized by Windows 2003 Server and shows up in device manager, however when I use HP StorageWorks DPE SSE or NTbackup, I can't seem to select the tape drive as a device to back up to.

The size of the media within is 800gigs, I've tried various iterations of the drivers even deleting/reinstalling the drive via device manager with no better results. Cannot see the tape drive as part of 'devices' under storageworks, either.

Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Re: Ultrium 920 SAS not shown under NTBackup/Storageworks

Hi Jean-Francois:

In order to use NTBackup, you have to enable Removeable Storage Manager.

If you are using Data Protector Express, make sure the tape drive is not in an error state. Second, power-cycle the tape drive, stop and then start DPX services. If you still cannot see the tape drive in DPX, try rebooting the server.

Also, make sure you are using a supported SAS HBA card and SAS HBA driver version. Check Tape Compatibility Matrix for you server and tape drive model.

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/ISS/index.html

Re: Ultrium 920 SAS not shown under NTBackup/Storageworks

Turns out there was a patch for the program or so that caused it not to function correctly. Thank you for your help!