9715 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium 960 + 64bit-133MHz Ultra320 SCSI HBA = No Joy

ckirt
Occasional Advisor

Ultrium 960 + 64bit-133MHz Ultra320 SCSI HBA = No Joy

Howdy,

I am attempting to install a HP374654-B21 SCSI HBA G2 and get it to talk with an Ultrium 960 tape drive. An HP DL380 G4 houses the SCSI HBA it also has an additional Adaptec card running an older LTO 1 drive in addition to the internal VHDCI connector that is connected to a jbod array.

The 960 is the only device on the SCSI HBA bus, and the 960 is housed in a HP 5300 Tape Array.

My first question is, when the system is started the Adaptec card interrogates the SCSI bus and sees the LTO-1 drive and then displays the sync speed of 20. When the HP SCSI HBA interrogates the SCSI bus it sees the Ultirum 960 but the sync speed is blank.

Should the HP SCSI HBA show me the speed at which it will be able to talk to the Ultirum 960?

I have replaced the cables and the terminator.

Do I have a bad card? Or does this HBA's bios not display a sync speed when you boot?
2 REPLIES 2
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Ultrium 960 + 64bit-133MHz Ultra320 SCSI HBA = No Joy

The Adaptec card shows you the speed because you can change it during POST.
HP HBA you cant change anything so its supposed that on every ID works on 320MB/s

Pablo Alvarado
Tape Storage DPX
Pablo Alv Siles
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 960 + 64bit-133MHz Ultra320 SCSI HBA = No Joy

I'm not sure the tape array 5300 support LTO3.
I would check the cables and terminator, if the lto1 is negotiating at 20 this mean it is working in SE mode, this is not correct.
This depend of a bad cable or a SE teminator.
Use a multimode cable and teminator for your test.
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)