StoreEver Tape Storage
1752696 Members
6231 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium Storageworks 920 and wrong tape TAPE

lecris

Ultrium Storageworks 920 and wrong tape TAPE

I have configured an HP Ultrium 920 and the software HP Data Protector Express on a Windows 2003 Server.
With the Wizare I create a system backup procedure and I have launch it 5 times one for each new tape 920 RW, now I want to use again the number one but the backup process stop and reply with media error.
I try to format and delete the cartridge but the problem persist.
The system work fine only on a new tape.
Exist a parameter to insert to say at the program to ignore the content of the tape and every time execute a format and full backup ?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium Storageworks 920 and wrong tape TAPE

you shouldn't need to format tapes every time you want to use them.

"backup process stop and reply with media error".

Uh....the exact message would be helpful.

Just a guess:
Check the catalog / dataprotection attributes associated with the backup, and the allocation policy used with the media pool. Keep in mind the expiration times are based on the timestamp of the last object sent to tape, not the beginning time of the backup...thus if you wish to re-use that tape every Monday, a protection of 6 days is required, not 1 week.

BTW: you don't need to re-format to re-use the tape. at most, you would need to "recycle" to remove protections....
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Lecris,

This tread is in the Data Protector Omniback software.
Please log a new tread in the Data Protector Express forum. It is inside tape storage section.

Regards,

MSECO
Keep learning!!!
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

business support forums > Storage > tape backup > data protector
Keep learning!!!
lecris

On sunday, each week, I want to do a backup of the system, I have 4 tapes and I wont write them one on each week and after 4 restart from 1.
I have set a backup procedure and I have execute it first time and all work fine, after 1 month (4 backup), when I have try to reinsert tape 1 the software reply with an error 4055.
I have try to format and delete the tape but the problem persist.
I have try to create a new Backup procedure and on scheduling window I have insert no rotation so if operator insert the wrong tape the procedure work anyway but the problem persist.
If I insert a write tape and go to tape property, the software reply :
Action: Inactive
State element: Unknow format
-----------------
Last writ 10/10/2008
Please help me
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Once again:
you shouldn't need to format tapes every time you want to use them.

"backup process stop and reply with media error".

Uh....the exact message would be helpful. NOT the number, the text of the message.

Just a guess:
Check the catalog / dataprotection attributes associated with the backup, and the allocation policy used with the media pool. Keep in mind the expiration times are based on the timestamp of the last object sent to tape, not the beginning time of the backup...thus if you wish to re-use that tape every Monday, a protection of 6 days is required, not 1 week.

BTW: you don't need to re-format to re-use the tape. at most, you would need to "recycle" to remove protections....
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"I have try to format and delete the tape but the problem persist.
I have try to create a new Backup procedure and on scheduling window I have insert no rotation so if operator insert the wrong tape the procedure work anyway but the problem persist.
If I insert a write tape and go to tape property, the software reply :
Action: Inactive
State element: Unknow format"

What do you mean by "format", did you initialize the tape in DP?

after that you deleted it????