cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from SureStore DAT40x6 to StorageWorks DAT72x6 fails

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade from SureStore DAT40x6 to StorageWorks DAT72x6 fails

My attempts to upgrade from a SureStore DAT40x6 (C5713A) to a StorageWorks DAT72x6 (Q1567A) on my Dell Precision 410 sysem (dual 550MHz Pentium III processers running Windows XP Professional) fail.

The DAT40x6 uses the native device drivers of Windows XP Professional: HP SureStore DAT40x6 Autoloader (ddsmc.sys Version 5.1.2600.5512 7/1/2001) and HP C5713A SCSI Sequential Device (4mmdat.sys version 5.1.2600.5512 7/1/2001).

When a tape mazine is inserted into the DAT40x6, the autoloader determines with magazine slots are empty. It then loads tape cartridges into the tape drive to determine contents of the magazine.

When I replace the DAT40x6 with the DAT72x6 both the autoloader and tape drive are detected. WinXP Device Manager reports Unknown Medium Changer and Unknown SCSI Sequential Device. After updating the device drivers to those used by the DAT40x6 (ddsmc.sys and 4mmdat.sys), WinXP recognizes when a tape magazine is inserted in the drive: it correctly reports the number of empty slots in the magazine. Unfortunately it fails to load the tape cartidges into the tape drive to determine the contents of the magazine.

Upgrading the tape drive device driver to one found on the HP web site for Windows XP (hpdat.sys version 1.5.3.2 8/25/2005) produces the same failure of the DAT72x6 to inventory the contents of the magazine. My DAT40x6 works properly with this updated tape drive device driver.

The DAT72x6 passes HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools tests.

Why does the 72x6 drive fail to inventory the contents of the magazine? How do I get it discover the contents of the magazine?