StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Ultrium 230 to 460 in Dell 122T?

Highlighted

Upgrade Ultrium 230 to 460 in Dell 122T?

Greetings,

I have an old Dell 122T LTO-1/Ultra-2 LVD SCSI autochanger that I'm curious to see whether I might be able to upgrade. It has an Ultrium 230 drive in it (model #C736900840). I'm wondering if I might be able to swap in an Ultrium 460 LTO-2 drive? Also I'm having trouble tracking down an exact model number for the loader ready version (no faceplate nor eject button or status lights, but instead an interface connector on the back)?

The other obstacle I'm assuming is that surely the 122T firmware is coded to that eject/status interface on the 230. If the 460's isn't the same this is likely a no-go. I know Dell put out an LTO-2 version of the 122T. I suppose it's possible the drive and firmware are the only changes.
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Upgrade Ultrium 230 to 460 in Dell 122T?

I am humbled by your confidence in HP forums to be able to solve problems with non-HP equipment. However, I think you'd be better served by asking these questions on a Dell forum, or of Dell support.

I was surprised by your description of the difficulty you had in identifying your hardware. If you had bought an HP library, you would have access to HP's free Library and Tape Tools, which would identify your hardware for you, and allow you to find, download, and install the most current firmware for your library or tape drive.

In addition, for a (probably) equivalent library of the same era like the HP MSL5000 or MSL6000, you can find a current MSL Upgrade Guide on www.hp.com to help you understand what your upgrade choices are. Our MSL libraries from ten years ago can be upgraded to today's LTO-4 tape drives.

So -- please consider an HP library when it's time to get rid of the Dell product you have today.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted

Re: Upgrade Ultrium 230 to 460 in Dell 122T?

Thomas - thanks for replying, however please note that the LTO-1 drive included in the Dell PowerVault 122T is actually an HP unit. In fact, the 122T is a re-packaged HP autochanger/drive combo.

So Ian was correct at posting here on the HP forums, since he has an HP product.