StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 1 Tape for mu;tiple backup jobs

Highlighted

Using 1 Tape for mu;tiple backup jobs

While I understand that this setup does not follow standard backup rotations, I am used to performing backups for small businesses another way. I use 1 tape or group of tapes, so 1 backup catalog to the backup software, per week. Usually will perform a full backup on Monday night and then either incremental or differential for every night until the next Monday when the tape is switched. I cannot figure out how to set this up in Data Protector Express SSE. Is there a way to do this with this software? If not, is there another backup solution that does? If so, do any support OBDR (One Button Disaster Recovery)?

Also, has anyone received an error when performing an OBDR? "Critical Error 135: Partition read Error DR Phase 1 had failed" is the message I received when performing the OBDR. I could not find any reference to this. The only thing I could think is that it does not like my SATA RAID 5, which is built-in to the ProLiant ML310 G3 Server or it was because the boot partition was full and it has to be able to write more files to that partition than just the data that was on that partition while performing the recovery.
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Using 1 Tape for mu;tiple backup jobs

Hi Chris,

Lets' deal with the DR error first. What verison of the software are you running? DR with SATA RAID is definately not supported with Version 3.1 but does work in some situations in Version 3.5. The work around is:
- manually set up your RAID
- then run DR only recovering the system volume
- after recovering the system volume run Data Protector Express to recover the remaining volumes.

On the other issue, the rotation you request isn't available at this moment. If you'll give me a way to contact you I'd like to talk to you about it.

DL
Highlighted
Advisor

I also have the same two problems - The main one at the moment is: Critical Error 135 exactly as above when restoring using ODBDR.

With a Brand new ML310 G4 Server with two 80GB Drives set up as a SATA RAID 1 Mirror for a Boot System Disk and a second single 250GB Disk for User Data.
I have a DW026A Internal USB Tape Drive. Windows 2003 R2 Patched up to date using Windows Update, with the latest Proliant Driver Pack applied.

I then added the Latest Drivers from the DAT72 Support site, and installed the Data Protector Express V3.5 SP1 (Incidentally Dave, the 3.5 SP1 update is still hard to find and if I didn't know it was there it would not be possible to find the SP1 version)
I also updated the DAT72 Drive firmware to the current version listed on the website - Shuld I have done anything else!!

I backed up the system using DPE using the Backup Wizard to the complete Local Machine.

The backup ran with no errors and I checked that the backup log indicated that it was a Bootable tape - so it should have worked.

When I restore I get:
Critical Error 135 : Partition Read Error
Unable to Extract files from the file pack Z: to temp\drboot.pak.
Pressing Enter gives:
"The operation will be terminated"

I hope there is an answer to this as otherwise the drive will need to be returned as faulty as the ODBR doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions regarding how to get this working or anything additional I should have done before backing up?

Cheers

Highlighted
Advisor

Oh I forgot - The Backup Rotation is very restrictive as it is and when you should "OVERWRITE" for every backup then that's what should happen. So if you do have a solution in order to achieve exactly what Chris wants to do, then I would like to know.

I know about running an erase beforehand - that's just a cludge though - it would be nice if it did what is asked!
Highlighted
Advisor

SATA RAID 1 was set up using the embedded SATA RAID Controller. I assume that the Caldera DOS owuld not be aware of the Array.

Using a Tape from another server with a similar build (same drivers and DAT72 software as far as I'm aware!) does appear to work on this SATA array although the final restore will not boot - I'm assuming this is because it's from ML110 G4 server with a different drive configuration and no RAID.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm going to split my answer into two responses since there are actually two questions in this string.

First, the easy one. Anytime you use a tape rotation the system will overwrite the tapes rather than appending. Before it overwrites it will check to maks sure the tape in the drive has expired before it reformats it. If the retention time has not expired you will get one of the 140X errors.

The work-around to make sure you ALWAYS overwrite the tape is to setup a second job to erase whatever tape is in the drive and run it before the backup job.

One of the other requested rotations has been to use a single tape for the week with a full backup on the weekend and daily incremental backup jobs appended to the tape. This rotation is now available. It is in Version 3.5 Service Pack 2 which was released today. I just checked and it wasn't posted yet but it should be availlable sometime this week at http://hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress.

DL
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Now to the secong question.

SATA RAID is a problem for OBDR because many SATA RAID cards use a combination of hardware and software elements. Since the software element loads as part of the OS drivers it is missing when the OBDR software loads and so the volumes cannot be created on the array.

The work-around when OBDR fails as in your case is to first boot the system and use the SATA tools to create the array and logical volumes and then use the options in the recovery software to recover to the existing volumes rather than attempt to recreate the volumes. The details are in my first response to Chris.

For more information on OBDR including compatibility listings and other useful information, go to:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/postanswer.do?threadid=1173606&forumId=2&closedFlag=0

DL

Highlighted
Advisor

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "manually setting up the RAID".

I don't understand why I would need to do this first since I didn't 'undo' the existing RAID 1 configuration in this case. I simply took a backup and then restored directly back onto the same hardware with only a reboot between backup and restore.

If what you are suggesting is that I have to re-install MS Windows 2003 AND update to the latest Service Pack AND add Tape Drivers AND Add Data Protector Express and then run a complete restore - this is hardly the ODBR that was advertised and adds around 2-3 hours to the restore time - but I'm sure that you are not suggesting that??!?

I note that I can take a Backup of the Mirrored configuration and then restore to a Single (NON RAID) standard drive and that works fine with a minor hardware detection that windows does to sort out the change of disk drive controller, but then I can't then make it mirrored again. Maybe that's the best result - Run mirrored and if I do have a catastrophic failure then you scrap the mirroring if it ever happens.

Highlighted
Advisor

Just to be clear - When using the ODBR Utility on my system I did try to Restore only the Bootable (or System) Partition - I think that's the term the ODBR Utility uses. It doesn't make any difference whether I use that or the Restore Complete System option (sorry I don't have the correct terms for that) I still get the Critical Error 135. If that worked I would be quite happy, since any user data partitions is easy enough once you have windows up and running.

Highlighted
Advisor

Attempting to restore from the Tape by rebuilding the server seems problematic! I built the server using all default settings (unfortunately also including default server name) thinking taht it would be able to restore everything from tape. Now I find that even after restoring the catalog it's not capable of restoring to the server because the machine name is different and the catalog cannot restore to another server name! Renaming the server isn't enough, so I'm off to uninstall DPE and reinstall then see if it works.