1752789 Members
5846 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VTL to tape

Aclitanu
Frequent Visitor

VTL to tape

Hello i've a data protector express single server edition with a VTL library from various agents and want to backup this VTL to a HP-Ultrium-SCSI but scheduling a job to backup library's files i can't select them, if i copy the files to another directory i can select them. Do i need a D2D2Any license option to perform this step?i've readed in documentation "When backing up to disk there is often a requirement to copy the backup data to tape. This can be done manually using a copy job or automated using the Data Protector Express D2Any2Any option"

What steps do i need to perform to do it manually?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Which VTL are you using?

If it's truly a virtual tape library, and you're using it as a tape backup target, then what you want to do

is to copy the tapes in the VTL to physical tapes using the backup application "tape copy" function.

This allows you to perform a restore in a single step from either VTL or physical tape.

If you try to backup the data on the VTL as if it were a primary source (that is, perform some sort of file or directory or image backup job), then your restores will all have to be two-step restores: First, restore the VTL, then restore from VTL to physical tape.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Aclitanu
Frequent Visitor

Its a Data protector express VTL created with the program itself. As you said, i must perform a copy media job to copy all the VTL's to tape. I was trying to select the files created daily to perform a backup to tape but only backed the directories of VTL.

That VTL to tape copy requires the license D2D2Tape?

Thank you very much

Aclitanu
Frequent Visitor

Hello, i'm trying the copy job from a VTL to tape but no sucess. If i select the vtl devices, the copy report completed but with 0 files written, then i select daily and weekly media from VTL to copy and get the "incompatible media" error (Error 1401: Alert insert compatible media). The tape was formated with a format job and i've tested with auto-format option on copy job but sitll, no sucess. What i'm doing wrong?

Screenshot of error: screenshot

Thank you very much.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

I believe that you do need the D2D2T license to copy from your Data Protector Express VTL to physical tape.

Do you have that licensed?

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Aclitanu
Frequent Visitor

I believe the server doesn't have that license, i contacted support via telephone and sended me the "DP Express  4_0 Ordering and Configuration Guide.pdf" that mention the D2D2Any option with a note about the option you said:

Extraction of option:

"BB130BA - HP Data Protector 4.0 Express D2Any2Any LTU Enable automatic, policy-driven movement of backup data to any other supported media. - g

Notes

g. The D2Any2Any option allows the implementation of multi-tier backup—typically backups are written to disk and then moved/copied to tape (D2D2T). The movement is controlled by user-defined copy policies. For a Data Protector Express Virtual Library a single copy policy may be set for all backups written to the Virtual Library or the copy policy may be defined with the backup job. For other backup targets, the copy policies are always defined with the backup job. One D2Any2Any LTU required per Data Protector Express Storage Domain."

But this is what confuses me: " When backing up to disk there is often a requirement to copy the backup data to tape. This can be done manually using a copy job or automated using the Data Protector Express D2Any2Any option. If the backup target is a Data Protector Express Virtual Library, the D2Any2Any option allows policies to be created for the entire Virtual Library to move or copy the backups from the Virtual Library to tape. If the backup is to any other supported device, the D2Any2Any option allows copy polices to be associated with the backup job, hence on completion of the backup job, the backup data is automatically copied to tape (or any other supported media)."

It's says two option to copy the vtl on tape, manual copy job that requires the restore of vtl and then restore a file from that vtl and using the option D2D2Any option that simplifies the process, restoring a file from the tape directly, without the need of restoring the vtl on first place. I'm trying the manual process of backup VTL on tape and then restoring VTL first, then restore a backup from there but with no sucess. The copy job fails everytime and expulse the tape afterward. I've tested the tapes with a backup job directly and works fine, storing local files but not the VTL files from the NAS.

Is necesary that license (D2D2Any/D2D2T) for save a backup the vtl itself on a tape or i'm doing something wrong?I've tested selection of media folders on copy job, resulting in 0% complete job with nothing written on tape and selecting the media itself that DPX create on backup jobs, like Day1media, day2media and so on but then i obtain that nasty error from dpx. I will contact with my client to adquire that license option if its necesary to store the vtl on tape like requested.

Thank you very much!