StoreEver Tape Storage
1753440 Members
4856 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What card is installed on my system?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

What card is installed on my system?

hi there,
We are servicing a HP Proliant DL580G3 on a customer installation that does not allow us to shutdown the server.
That proliant has SCSI connectivity to a Storageworks Rack Unit (2 slots) with one slot occupied by a Ultrium-232 and the other slot is free.

On the proliant side, we see on Windows 2003/Device Manager the following:
LSI Adapter Ultra320 SCSI Serie 2000.

Since the customer wants to add a second Ultrim-232 to the sorageworks, we have some questions;
Our options for SCSI cards are "HP SC11Xe Host Bus Adapter" or "64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2".

We want to install a second scsi card like the one the customer already has. So my question is which one has the LSI chipset? the SC11Xe or the other one?

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

According to this thread (5th posting) you have a SC11Xe.

Also if you know the server PCI bus type you can verify as well. The SC11Xe is PCIe interface and the "64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2" is a PCI-X interface.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12566_div/12566_div.html

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11943_div/11943_div.html
TTr
Honored Contributor

I forgot to paste the first URL...

> According to this thread (5th posting) you have a SC11Xe.
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1158619

Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

TTr,
thanks for the accurate response. The system does have a HP SC11Xe adapter.
However I am confused about this description of the Storageworks unit:
"SCSI: The standard bus configuration includes two SCSI buses with support for up to two drives per bus. Customers can purchase an LVD Cable Kit that will extend the unit to four SCSI buses supporting one drive per bus on the 3U Using independent SCSI buses for each drive provides the best performance."

Does this means that I just need to install the second Ultrium-232 unit WITHOUT needing to purchase extra cables or HBA?
Or
I also need to puchase another SC11X3 card and the matching external cable to connect the second tape in the slot of the storageworks unit to the DL580?

I better ask before i make a mistake!!!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Yes technically you can attach multiple devices to the same bus.
There is a limitation regarding number of devices versus cable-lenght.
with external enlosures , the total buslength is influenced by the cabling inside a device.

after this, the ultriums drives have so much throughput, that has large impact on the capacity op the scsi-bus. hence the limitation on two drives per bus.
Better is putting each tapedrive on it's own bus.

Pieter
TTr
Honored Contributor

Pieter said it well. You can attach the second tape drive to the same bus but because the Ultrium drives are so fast you should dedicate a whole SCSI bus to one tape drive.
Erick Arturo Perez
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, i will add a second card as you suggest. I do not want to have contention on the SCSI bus.

Again, many thanks for your help.