StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 2008 standard & 2008 R2 std + DPX 5.0 & 4.0 error 2089, AD backup flag not set

Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

windows 2008 standard & 2008 R2 std + DPX 5.0 & 4.0 error 2089, AD backup flag not set

Hi,

I noticed that my windows 2008 servers complain on AD system state backup not performed on AD partitions (error 2089 - backup tombstone past due).

Primary GC is currently loaded with 2008 R2 Std and DPX 5.0 (full license), 2 others are 2008 Std 32-bit running DPX 4.0. all of them show the same error 2089 even though System state is backed up in nightly tape backup jobs on all of them.

I had this problem initially in February and made a few backups manually using WBADMIN tool, but after contacting HP Support I've been told that only a full license of DPX 5.0 (we used Basic one which came with tape drive) can properly backup the AD partitions and *should* get rid off of this error. we bought the full license (needed it for 2008 R2 SQL backups anyways), however the error returned.

I belive everything is backed up correctly, however DPX software seems not to set the parameter in AD partitions where directory reads it from as described in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/7282b238-c5d5-4d5b-9ffe-311d493ed906

is there any solution to this? I don't like seeing those 2089 errors...

Log Name:      Directory Service
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService
Date:          5/20/2012 10:55:02 PM
Event ID:      2089
Task Category: Backup
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer:      aaaa.xx.yyyy
Description:
This directory partition has not been backed up since at least the following number of days.

Directory partition:
DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=xx,DC=yyyy

'Backup latency interval' (days):

It is recommended that you take a backup as often as possible to recover from accidental loss of data. However if you haven't taken a backup since at least the 'backup latency interval' number of days, this message will be logged every day until a backup is taken. You can take a backup of any replica that holds this partition.

By default the 'Backup latency interval' is set to half the 'Tombstone Lifetime Interval'. If you want to change the default 'Backup latency interval', you could do so by adding the following registry key.

'Backup latency interval' (days) registry key:
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Backup Latency Threshold (days)

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService" Guid="{...}" EventSourceName="NTDS Replication" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">2089</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>14</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-21T02:55:02.882Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1937</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="648" ThreadID="844" />
    <Channel>Directory Service</Channel>
    <Computer>aaaa.xx.yyyy</Computer>