4038 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows 2012 R2 | HP Ultrium 1760 SAS

rajthampi
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2012 R2 | HP Ultrium 1760 SAS

Hi guys

I've been searching for a place to ask a question about ML 350P GEN 8 running Windows 2012 R2 compatibility with HP Ultrium 1760 SAS (External Drive).

We've moved the tape drive to the above server, installed the drivers those were available from the HP repositories. However, the tape drive is not deteceted, Device manager doesn't show any HP SAS related information.

Kindly help

5 REPLIES 5
rajthampi
Occasional Contributor

Re: Windows 2012 R2 | HP Ultrium 1760 SAS

I think the current SAS PCIe card (HP SAS3442E-HP SC44Ge PCIe Host Bus Adapter 416155-001) is not compatible with both the OS and ML350p Gen 8 Server. I would appreciate if someone could suggest an appropriate raid controller that is both compatible with the tape drive 1760SAS (external) & the server.

regards,

rajthampi
Occasional Contributor

The closest one I came across which supports the tape drive is HP Smart Array P212/ZM PCIe x8 SAS Controller 462828-B21. The datasheet for the SAS RAID controller lists Windows 2008 as the highest supported & cannot find any references towards ML 350p Gen 8 Servers.. 

Any comments?

regards,

tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

i would use a HPE SC08e HBA if you have room for one

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Do not use a P212/ZM.  While those technically work with tape drives and are supported with standalone tape drives that card isn't able to keep up if you are able to push the performance on the drive.  A P212 (with out the /ZM qulifier) is OK but pretty much obsolete and not recommended anymore.

For that system an H222 is a good choice if you don't need array functionality:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/default.aspx?cc=jm&lc=en&oid=5263561

If you do need array functionality a P431 would be a good choice:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04164425

In general HPE provides tape support on all of the SAS controllers so you just need to check the server quickspecs and pick a supported SAS HBA from there. If you want to check the HBA quickspecs they all list tape drive support.

I can't say that all HPE SAS controllers will always support tape drives into the future but that is the goal.

Tape compatibility is documented in the DAPR matrix:  http://www.hpe.com/storage/DAPRcompatibility

Using the DAPR matrix to figure out standalone SAS controller support isn't as easy as it should be but you can look at the SAS Tape Library Controllers section the recommended controllers are listed and all of those also work with standalone drives.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

rajthampi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Curtis!

Actually I found the tape drive was hardly used for the reasons like incompatibility with IBM Server running Linux. I wanted to give it a try before disposing it as obsolete.

I would definitely give your suggestions a try & will update the thread once after referring to the products suggested by you.

Thanks once again