5428 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Wrong drive type on MSL 2024

LeoDr
Visitor

Wrong drive type on MSL 2024

Hi there

i got an LTO-4 drive upgrade for my msl 2024 SAS where the previous drive died. After installung i got Exception 48 error - wrong drive type. I tried to upgrade firmware from 5.30 to 5.70, 5.90 and 6.50 - all the same. any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Did you purchase this drive from HPE?  It sounds like you might have a drive that was originally sold for a different library but was later loaded into an MSL assembly.  Different library vendors have different requirements for some of the drive behaviors so they are configured in the factory according to the requirements of the vendor that ordered the drives and as a protection for those vendor's products the drives prevent downloading the wrong firmware as that can cause the drives to not work correctly in the product that they were built for.

If the MSL will allow you to pull a drive support ticket you can post it here and a number of us that monitor the forum have tools that can parse the logs and determine what type of drive you have.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

LeoDr
Visitor

Hi

i bought the one off ebay..

i can pull a ticket, downloadable at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16iBXq5MqE_ZnJ4Q1drN19JVEE  but only for library as far as i cannot power on the drive..

thanks

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

The library support ticket provided enough information to confirm that the drive is not an HPE MSL tape library drive.  It is a drive that was sold to another company for resale under their company name with special requirements for the tape drive firmware.  That company also purchased and resold the HPE MSL 2024 tape libraries under their own name with customized firmware so it is possible that this tape drive might have been originally sold as a tape library drive for that library chassis but unfortunately customized for another company.

I can't think of any way to get that drive working in an HPE MSL tape library without some sort of major reprogramming or modifications. Neither the drive or the library will accept the different type firmware without being reconfigured at the factory. I don't know of any tools that can change the firmware type in the field.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

LeoDr
Visitor

ok, it looks like i have to return item to seller.

i wonder how can i check drive prior to purchase.

my old one says 

Product No AT 899A

Spare No 572730-001

Rev AAA

My "new"

Rev Baa

Product No AK383A

Spare No 467729-001

thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Both partno. are SAS LTO-4 for MSL 2024.

Unfortunately the support ticket gives now an error 404 - not found.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

For LTO-4 SAS you need AK383x drives.  The AK383A part number is for an HPE tape library in the MSL 2024 family.  The last digit can change if there were revisions during prodution and there could also be an 'R' appended.  There were at least AK383A and AK383B versions for LTO-4, both of which are compatible.

The AT899A part number is an OEM drive meaning that it was sold by HPE to another company - AT899A drives will not work in an HPE MSL tape library.

Some other drives:

AH562x - LTO-3 SAS for HPE MSL

BL540x - LTO-5 SAS for HPE MSL

C0H25x - LTO-6 SAS for HPE MSL

N7P37x - LTO-7 SAS for HPE MSL

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

LeoDr
Visitor

The AT899A part number is an OEM drive meaning that it was sold by HPE to another company - AT899A drives will not work in an HPE MSL tape library.

Interesting. AT899A was exactly the drive that worked in my 2024 for about 3 years..

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Interesting. AT899A was exactly the drive that worked in my 2024 for about 3 years..

I should have noticed you said that.  I looked up the part numbers and AT899A was returned as being for an OEM drive.

I just went and checked a pile of HPE MSL LTO-4 SAS drives and all of them are AK383A drives according to the label on the back.

What numbers are on the label on the top of the drive?  The label on the top of the LTO-4 SAS drives I have show a part number of EB668C.  It is possible that maybe the drive inside the MSL assembly bracket got changed.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo