HPE Storage Networking - Adapters
1752569 Members
5105 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: I want to know example of each type of fibre channel zoning in an enterprise.

NishantMehta

I want to know example of each type of fibre channel zoning in an enterprise.

I want to know example of each type of fibre channel zoning in an enterprise. Please help.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: I want to know example of each type of fibre channel zoning in an enterprise.

Hello Nishant,

it depends a bit on which FC Switch manufacturer you have but the two most common zoning approaches are either Domain ID / Port but the most suggested one will be Port WWN zoning. Make sure you just use the correct given pWWN and not the nWWN for that kind of zoning.

Domain ID / Port seems to be more flexible and secure in reagrds to the devices connected to a switch, only allowing a dedicated port to be used, but pWWN Zoning allows also a better security, flexibility when using encryption as well as routing across multiple Fabrics.

The suggested zoning to be used from HPE is therefore pWWN zoning.

Hope, that helps a bit.

Regards

Norbert

Accept or Kudo

Trickster
HPE Pro

Nishant, there is a good section on Zoning in the HPE SAN Design Reference Guide, which can be found in the "Design Guides" section of the HPE SPOCK website (Single Point of Connectivity Knowledge for HPE Storage Products), which details the different types of zoning enforcement: 

https://h20272.www2.hpe.com/SPOCK/Pages/spock2Html.aspx?htmlFile=dg_san_design.html

If you are looking for real examples of zoning configs using these different types of enforcement, they are dependent on which SAN switch manufacturer you are looking for (Brocade, Cisco, QLogic, etc).

Each manufacturer runs different firmware on their SAN switches, so the best place to look for zoning examples is in their Command Reference Manuals and Administration Guides, which can be found easily via their websites or Google.

I am an HPE employee. #IWork4HPE. The opinions expressed above are my personal opinions and not those of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo