New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Brocade Firmware Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
ILYPAT
Occasional Advisor

HPE Brocade Firmware Upgrade

Hello Members,

I would like to know the process for upgrading cascaded san switches.

We have two fabric each with two members.  Switches are connected with ISL links & have trunk licenses.

I need to know the below.

1. Do i need to upgrade the subordinate switch first or the principal switch or it does not matter (anything first)
2. What is the correct process to take backup of licenses when we have trunk licenses enabled
2. Backup process for the san switch.

Regards
Patwi

2 REPLIES 2
Yeskay
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Ilypat,

I see that you have two Brocade switches in one fabric and two in second fabric and want to perform firmware update on the switches.

As a best practice, perform upgrade on principal switch first and then the other one in first fabric. Once you perform upgrade of FOS in one fabric and when that fabric is stable, proceed upgrading FOS on switches in the second fabric.

There is no specific command to export/backup license. However, you can use licenseshow command to view the licenses installed in the switch and copy and paste the same info to a notepad and save. Also use licenseidshow command.

Before performing firmware upgrade, take a backup of the configuration using configdownload -all. If you have virtual fabric configured in the switch use configdownload -vf prior to configdownload -all. Save the configuration file on your FTP or SSH server or USB memory device on supported platforms. Connect to the switch and log in using an account with admin permissions. Enter the supportSave command to retrieve all current core files prior to executing the firmware download. This information helps to troubleshoot the firmware download process if a problem is encountered.

For more information, please refer to the release notes of the appropriate FOS version and Fabric OS Upgrade Guide of the version you are trying to install. You can find supported upgrade paths (Disruptive and non disruptive upgrade path) in the release notes and upgrade guide.

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ILYPAT
Occasional Advisor

Hello Yeskay,

Thanks for your reply.

Its mentioned very well in detailed about each process.

Regards,
Patwi.