StoreOnce Backup Storage
1748195 Members
4638 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Relationship between RAM Memory and VTLs & NAS Shares?

SOLVED
Go to solution
DA_Carobin
Occasional Contributor

Relationship between RAM Memory and VTLs & NAS Shares?

What is the relationship between the size of the appliance's ram memory and the number of VTLs and NAS Shares it can handle?

5 REPLIES 5
ArendL
HPE Pro

What product are you referring to, is that an appliance shipped as hardware or perhaps the virtual machine, VSA?.

ArendL (HPE Employee)

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo

DA_Carobin
Occasional Contributor

Shipped as hardware

ArendL
HPE Pro

Hi,

When you google for "StoreOnce quickspecs" you can find documents like:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04328820.pdf

It might have all you need.

Regards,

Arend

ArendL (HPE Employee)

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo

DA_Carobin
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I did not express myself correctly.

My question is in the sense that the amount of VTLs or NAS shares is limited among other factors by RAM? For each NAS share is an instance raised in memory?

Gans_Tapes
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @DA_Carobin,

Thank you for the clarification. T here are various factors that are taken into consideration when designing and testing the max performance to name a few ( RAM, processing power etc).  For a hardware based appliance the configuration is mentioned in the product's quick specs. For a StoreOnce VSA, there are pre-requisites/minimum configuration needed to be provided from Hyper-V/ESX server for an optimal performance. 

My question is in the sense that the amount of VTLs or NAS shares is limited among other factors by RAM?

Yes. But this was not the only deciding factor when defining system limits..

For each NAS share is an instance raised in memory?

The memory allocation is taken care by the dedupe engine (part of Serviceset sub system) and the various processes of Serviceset. From the user guide, you may also refer to the 'key parameters' section that will provide you the system limits for the product.

Reference: http://kmcs-service.austin.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03831229-1.pdf 

Section  - Key performance factors with deduplication that occurs on the StoreOnce Backup System

I hope I was able to answer your question.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo