New Discussion

3-year term VSA license expiring

SOLVED
Go to solution
nOw2
Occasional Visitor

3-year term VSA license expiring

Hi,

I have a cluster of machines with a 3-year VSA term which are expiring in a few weeks.

I'm told that I cannot extend this at all - with no option to convert to perpetual licenses. Can this be true? Has anyone had any help on this?

We didn't get a notification of the EOL and have been happily using our VSA for the last three years, waiting to renew with budget set aside. If we knew about the EOL we'd have gone to perpetual licenses last year! But it's really unpleasant to have only found this out while still inside our 3-year term.

I'm making plans to migrate away from Storevirtual now but it's impossible in the time frame left, which is really putting me in a bad situation.

Has anyone been given any sort of solution for this? I really don't care about having support available, I just need the system to continue running normally until we can replace it!

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: 3-year term VSA license expiring

Hi

your VSA will continue to work but you will not be able to create new things ( volumes snapshots etc.)

i you can get a new license you can replace your existing license. thats your only option.

Regards

Assen
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi nOw2,

It should be possible to convert your VSA term licenses into non term, but as far as I know you will need to have an active contract for them.
If you do have active contract, just go to https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp-ui/contact-us
choose your region and write an email to the respective team with the request to convert the licenses into non term one.
Information you will need to provide is the contract SAID or EON, the featurekeys or mac of the license and the license key itself.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

nOw2
Occasional Visitor

That is great, I'm still in contract so will contact them right now.

Update: yes, they've sorted it out. My confidence in HPe is restored.

LIS_112
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I have the same problems as nOw2 2 years before.

Now the license has expired since 10 months. We don't use the features (Snapshots, resize) at all, so software works fine until now. System will be replaced next year, it's not connected to the internet so I have no fear about security risks.

However I'm little concerned about the alarm message

After the license expires, your volumes will go offline and you will not be able to create any new volume, snapshots, or remote copies

Will my volumes really go offline? Is there any chance to get a no term license?

Greetings

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LIS_112,

Not sure if the volumes really go offline. But you can get a 'no term' license.

Here is the customer advisory on this - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00021920en_us

This document has licensing details including 'no term' license. For more details, use the URL at the bottom of the page.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LIS_112
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your quick reply.

First FYI: You wrote: For more details, use the URL at the bottom of the page.: The URL is invalid.

Back to topic:
As far as I interprete this to get a no term license I have to buy Q0J77A(AE) for every host I need.
I found some old offers (article not availabe) with prices over 5000 $ each.  This is a ridiculous price for an outdated software.
Besides, I'm not even able to buy the software even if I wanted to. All offers are no longer available.

At least statement says:

When the HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 term license expires, systems can no longer create new volumes, snapshots, smart clones, or remote copy schedules. Software upgrades are also blocked without a valid license. In order to avoid interruption to HPE StoreVirtual VSA 2014 nodes, term licenses should be renewed with no-term licenses prior to expiration.

No speech of "volumes going offline".
Can someone clarify this?

Best regards

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LIS_112,

This is the URL for VSA license customer notice - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00021920en_us

This is the URL to contact HPE sales people where you can enquire more details - https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/storage/storage-software/pip.hpe-storevirtual-vsa-software.5306917.html

Both are public URLs. I think both should work for you. HPE policies generally don't leave their customers in such dead end like 'volumes going offline'. Better you gain first hand details from the sales team.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LIS_112
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

First, the URL: https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/storage/storage-software/pip.hpe-storevirtual-vsa-software.5306917.html shows No items found; please try a different search term.

That only by the way.

Back to topic:

Your sentence

HPE policies generally don't leave their customers in such dead end like 'volumes going offline'.

made me feel better. This is consistent with what I had read years before: No new volumes, no resizing, no Snapshots. But cluster will keep on running.

I would not have reopened the thread if this disturbing message had not come.(Volumes will go offline).

But hey, when will volumes go offline, since license has expired for 10 months? After One year, two years, 10 years. Silly message.

Thanks again for clarifieng.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LIS_112,

Re-opening the thread is not a problem at all.

Please drop your email and contact number in private message. Allow me some time. Let me check what best I can do for you on this within my possibilities.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo