1748122 Members
3348 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9.0 VSS Provider missing credentials.reg file

jmurphy_1
Occasional Contributor

9.0 VSS Provider missing credentials.reg file

I am attempting to install the 9.0 version of the VSS provider from the Windows solution pack CD on some server 2008R2 core machines. The documentation tells me that there should be a registry file called "credentials.reg" in the install directory after the installation completes. This file is not there. Furthermore, on one of my machines, the installation hung at "registering files".

I need to know the correct registry keys to create so that I can put the management group credentials into the registry.

The documentation also says "With the latest version of the VSS Provider, you may find that the credentials are already configured due to the fact that in certain situations the system may automatically discover authentication from the SAN."

How do I verify this? There is no "LeftHand Networks" key under HKLM/Software.
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Shawcross

Did you manage to suss this out? I have the same issue.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
This may help - no sure about the file you mentioned as I have not got a system handy.
However, once you have installed the VSS provider you need to configure the "authentication console" or something like that. Look under windows start->all progs->lefthand/P4000 option->auth console (the one with an icon that looks like a yellow key)
Now you need to enter the management group/user/password info and that's it. In my experiance it does often find and load the credentials for you. Unfortunately in my experiance the VSS application snapshot option from the CMC GUI still does not always work even though everything is configured correctly!
Once you have entered these details then maybe the files etc are created ??
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Jitun
HPE Pro

Mark, Installing on Windows 2008 Server Core or Windows 2008 Server R2 Core requires registry change which is not needed for

1. Go to the directory where you installed the VSS Provider.
The default directory is C:\Program Files\HP\P4000\HP P4000 VSS Provider.
2. Verify that the credentials.reg file is installed in that directory.
3. Import the credentials into the Registry by typing the file name, credentials.reg, and then
pressing Enter.
4. Click Yes on the warning message to continue adding the registry values.
A Registry Editor message opens verifying that the keys and values are added to the Registry.
5. Click OK to continue.
6. Type Regedit and then press Enter.
The Registry Editor opens to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.

7. Select HP\P4000\Client Settings\1.0\Credentials\AL1-MG1.

8. Right-click AL1-MG1 and change ├в AL1-MG1├в to the name of the actual management group.
9. In the right-hand pane, right-click Credentials and then select Modify.
10. Change the values to the real user name and password for the management group.
11. Click OK.
12. Exit the Registry Editor , or to add credentials to another management group, repeat this procedure.

On the step # 7 registry entry is
HP\P4000\Client Settings\1.0\Credentials\

Don't go by the screenshot.. it is old.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Jitun - thanks for the info but I suspect that it is not for me but for jmurphy as I did not ask the question in the first place!?
I probably should have mentioned that my answer is for 2003 as I have not yet installed under 2008R2.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Andrew Shawcross

Did you get an answer as to why the credetials.reg isn't in the program files for 2008R2? I have the same issue and was wondering if I could export from a working server just use that instead?