New Discussion

Re: best practice P4000 - 4 nodes

SOLVED
Go to solution
lpuigo
Occasional Contributor

best practice P4000 - 4 nodes

Hi,

Currently I have two nodes configured P4000. Managed by FOM and forming a cluster.
I purchased two more nodes. How should I configure? Creating a new cluster with two nodes or configuring a cluster with four nodes.

If you choose this last option. How would you set the volumes? RAID 1 mirror? or otherwise?

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Are the 2 new nodes the same type and size as the 'old' nodes?

If so, U can add them perfectly first in the management group and then in the existing cluster...

At that moment all existing volumes will be restriped accross the 4 nodes... This is done automatically...

When create a second cluster? When U have nodes with SAS disks and now SATA or SSD for instance... So you create multiple storage pools/clusters...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
lpuigo
Occasional Contributor

The two new nodes are exactly like the previous (same models and hard drives)

So ... best practice is to add these two new nodes to the existing cluster, forming a cluster of four nodes. How does this affect the volume creation?

I add the volumes with RAID 1 (mirror) or other?

Thank you very much for the answer

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There is no effect on the volume creation...

Currently all data blocks are spread accross the 2 existing nodes... If U ad more nodes, then the data blocks will be spread accross all storage nodes...

The existing volume data blocks will be spread (restriped), all new volumes will be by default created on the 4 nodes... Nothing to do yourself...

Are the 4 systems in the same server room? There is one particular thing that should be take care of if the nodes are spread in 2 seperate server rooms... Then the order of the nodes is quite imprtant...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lpuigo
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply. I really doubt that would have space available to add more nodes to the cluster

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Currently a cluster supports up to 16 nodes... All data blocks will be spread at that moment accross all 16 nodes...

Kr,

Bart

Urimuqi
Super Advisor

this is a very good sharing and useful to me.