StoreVirtual Storage
1748224 Members
4620 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can i use P4000 G2 working together with the new StoreVirtual 4000 in one storage cluster?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Gao
Occasional Advisor

Can i use P4000 G2 working together with the new StoreVirtual 4000 in one storage cluster?

I have some question about P4000 storage.

There are 5 storage node in one storage cluster. Every node model is " P4500 G2 7.2TB SAS Storage System " . The product number of each node is "AX701A" .

We want to add one new StoreVirtual 4000 node which model is " StoreVirtual 4530 600GB SAS " and PN : " B7E26A " .

I think the P4500G2 is different with StoreVirtual 4000, so i am afarid that we can not make them into one storage cluster.

Because P4500G2 production have stopped sale, then Can i use P4000 G2 working together with the new StoreVirtual 4000 in one storage cluster?

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Can i use P4000 G2 working together with the new StoreVirtual 4000 in one storage cluster?

I don't care to look up the specs of each to say exactly, but think of each node like a disk in a typical raid group.  Your cluster (or traditional raid group) will only use as much space on each node as the smallest node and will only be as fast as the slowest node...  so you want to make sure the raw capacity of the nodes are as close to identical as possible and that their drive speeds are about in line as well. 

Worste thing you could do is take a bulk storage 7200RPM node cluster group and add a small capacity SSD node to it...  you would lose the space on the cluster and you wouldn't get the performance of the SSDs.

I would ask your sales person what node they would suggest for adding to your cluster and follow their advice and if they say there isn't one, I would make a big stink with them to see about getting them to heavily discount a tradein to meet your needs either with an existing AX701A to your current cluster or have them swap out the rest of your AX701A's to match the G3 equivalent.

Emilo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Look at the post below about the p4300 that should apply to you also.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-StoreVirtual-HP-LeftHand/store-virtual-4330-questions/td-p/6086993#.UbyXfJz3NqM

Simon Gao
Occasional Advisor

Thanks all for the informations!

Although have understand these concept but i still hard to decide.

steven Prinz
Frequent Visitor

Yes.

We are doing so right now. It is merely a rebranded product line. (P4000 G2 = StroreVirtual 4000.  SAN/iq operating system = LeftHand operating system). You can also mix models with different specs together. However, what was stated about the smallest capacity and lowest performance node is correct. We have an 8 node cluster - 6 with 600 GB drives and two with 450 GB drives. They all stripe at 450 GB. This weekend, we are swapping out the 2 nodes with the 450 GB drives for 2 new ones with 600 GB drives. When the swap is done, the 600 GB capacity will be used on all of the drives, yielding us about a 25% increase in available storage.