108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Storages for DR and features needed

SOLVED
Go to solution
HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

I am not sure what you do mean with 2+1 StoreVirtual ... If you want to use asynchronous replication, then you will need to use two independent StoreVirtual cluster. Hence you would need to have at least 4 nodes (2 per cluster).

I am currently using the HP 5920 switch for my 10GbE backbone. This one has for sure sufficient amount of port buffer.

alfa2100
Occasional Advisor

I want to have 2 storages in the HQ to be in the mirror (cluster), so if one fails, we don't want to start working from DR site, and only one in DR site to be replicated with HQ.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

tom,

w/ async, you don't need two nodes on the remote site, but I definietely agree that you should have a 2nd management group for the 2nd site so there is no dependency for quorum w/ the primary site during a failover event.

OP  -   I think the direction you are going sounds correct and the most reasonable.  two VSAs on the primary site with LUNs in NR10 provide you with the updtime for maintenance at that side and as long as you have the remote bandwidth to handle shipping the change-data over to the DR site and are you comfortable with the potential data loss between snapshots in a DR situation, then the setup you have is perfect....  its actually the exact setup I run (but with hyper-v and not VMWare so I won't comment on the VMWare side of the setup).  I would suggest that you still install a FOM at the primary site (or the management group would be a single cluster with two nodes and a FOM) so that you don't have to manually deal with quorum if the VSA w/out the virtual manager goes down for whatever reason.  Then on the DR site, you just have a management group with a single cluster and a single node.

alfa2100
Occasional Advisor

oikjn,

oikjn
Honored Contributor

sorry I don't have any good papers offhand other than just the standard microsoft webpage for hyper-v and the HP setup guides on the subject for storevirtual. 

Hyper-V is good (even better for server 2012), but I would only suggest it if the vast majority of your servers you plan to virtualize are windows servers.  If this is the case, then it could be for you, if not, VMWare is the defacto-standard.