StoreVirtual Storage
1752795 Members
6236 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP StoreVirtual VSA -- 10k vs 15k drives??

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

HP StoreVirtual VSA -- 10k vs 15k drives??

We are running "low" on storage for our HP StoreVirtual VSA setup...

The best option appeears to be replacing all the 15k 600 GB SAS drives with 10k 900 GB SAS drives.

SSDs are not an option, mixing the existing 600 GB SAS drives with 7.5k SATA drives is probably not practical due to the mathematics of RAID with only 11 bays available....unless there's an HP SATA drive that's safe to use in RAID1 with only two drives (e.g. two 4TB drives)??????

Anyway, my question is, if there's 11 900GB SAS 10k drives, will people observe any noticeable change in how fast things are?? Particularly database servers (Kronos and Great Plains).

Thank you, Tom

2 REPLIES 2
David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

That really depends on how hard you are pushing the drives, and how large your data set is.

You can check the CMC for IO latency and queue depth to get an idea of how the current drives are doing. 

The 10k drives will not likely perform better than the 15k drives you have now, so if you can handle a small drop in disk performance you should be fine.

Put it this way; 99% of use cases for this storage are going to be perfectly fine with a change between 10 and 15k drives.

Regards.

David Tocker
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Thank you....what do you think would happen if I have one group of 15k SAS drives and one smaller group of 7.5k SATA drives?? Would people notice anything??

I'm thinking it should be possible if different kinds of drives are installed per node, that it should be easy and possible to enable the AO Adaptive Optimization tiering so the VSA itself would see the two physical RAID groups together as one storage and therefore move data around as necessary??

Thank you, Tom