Re: Lefthand OS 11.5

Nothing Special,

Only fixes.

No SCVMM 2012 R2 support

NO TRIM

NO UNMAP

Shortly no new features.

Very disappointing release

Looks like HP is only investing in 3PAR storage.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

come on now, "a veriety of small improvements" isn't enough?  Or "smarter online upgrades."?  I guess "smarter" because it might actually upgrade as opposed to v11.

Sure maybe SCVMM support is almost a real feature, but I agree, no unmap and this is all a waste.  Can't say I'm suprised, but I'm certanly dissapointed.

Manfri
Frequent Advisor

For me the online update from 10.5 to 11.5 is something that really needed... and for fixes... i found that the x.5 releases are the good one, stability and fixes, not new features.

I hoped that TRIM/UNMAP was FINALLY implemented, but i do not really thinked that it will be present.

Now i'm installing on my VSA lab... finger crossed..

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

No UNMAP Support, fail. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

@Patrick Neuner wrote:

No UNMAP Support, fail. 

couldn't have said it better.  Only possible feature that is worth anything before UNMAP would be dedupe or compression, but those are more optional to us where missing UNMAP is a requirement.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

especially we use P4500 G2's, which go EOL in less than 12 months, which means, no more software updates starting next year, and I feel like we won't ever get to UNMAP, probably for newer Lefthand Nodes but not those..  - but I bet support fees won't be lowered to hardware only support, cause it's EOL...

Can't tell how disappointed I am (the polite version), it's more than 2 years that we hear, it will come, we can't tell when, but its high priority - if in my company high priority would mean more than 2 years, we would be out of business. If they would just be honest and say - hey folks, it's on the roadmap for 2015, 2016, or get a 3Par, we won't add it, whatever, I would be more happy, so we know we could just drop it. Now we are heading from one major version to the next and feel, we are still at OS 9.5. Update 4 as all updates covered mostly minor upgrades or new features for new models. (If there have been good updates, well I didn't notice them as needed for us...)

Anyway. Our next solution won't be any SAN Solution from HP anymore, but a Hardware Vendor independent solution. Years back we wanted HP and decided against the Storage Solution of our Virtualisation OS, next time we just get server boxes and pay the licence fees rather them, and they don't care if the boxes are HP, Dell, Intel, or whatsoever. Adding new boxes doesn't matter if they are the same size, same model, and still go HA, do 2 way mirror, 3 way mirror, real thin provisioning, of course. We might still use HP boxes, but if their on site service becomes weaker, we are not limited to this one vendor anymore, as we are now. Don't get me wrong, on site works most of the times great, couple of hours and it's solved. But if they suddenly start to save money on that too... 

Years back we said, no, we are satisfied with HP and want to keep a HP Solution with no questions asked. Now I think, I should also check others again. Seems their approach to have less employees also means, that Innovations on some products stall, all Marketing with "Say yes" doesn't help, if a promised feature just never comes. 

Patrick

oikjn
Honored Contributor

is it just me, or did they remove v11.5 from CMC?  I updated CMC and over the weekend went to update the DSM/app snapshot programs and found that all refrences to v11.5 were gone from the announcement tab and suddenly I didn't have the upgrade notification anymore.  I still had the v11.5 program files so I tried upgrading the dsm/app snapshots, but again the nodes can't be upgraded... smells like v11 all over again.

Matt_Dolan

I had the same thing happen. I upgraded the CMC to 11.5 on Friday, but decided to wait until Sunday to upgrade the OS. I went in on Sunday and the option was no longer available. I had one patch for a language pack so I installed that thinking the OS 11.5 would come back. No go. Maybe an issue with 11.5 so they pulled it?

Gediminas Vilutis
Frequent Advisor

The same here.