New Discussion юеВ

Re: Max speed of iSCSI

SOLVED
Go to solution
'chris'
Super Advisor

Max speed of iSCSI

hi

Which is the max speed of iSCSI adapter?
5 REPLIES 5
Mark...
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi
10Gbe adapters are available
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
'chris'
Super Advisor

Thx, but knows someone, how much does it cost iSCSI 12TB SAN with 4Gbe Speed?
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Hmm - I think you can only get 1GBe or 10GBe - not aware of 4Gbe adapters.
With HP LeftHand P4300/P4500 you can get 12TB and more, pay as you grow. It comes standard 1Gbe but you can get a 10Gbe upgrade for the hardware NSM. Note, you would also need to get 10Gbe switches and 10Gbe adapters for your servers as well.
Check out HP's website for more info.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/12169-304616-3930449-3930449-3930449-4118659.html

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

In some cases you can aggregate multiple 1GbE links with MPIO and round-robin load balancing.

I've tried it some years ago and was able to pull 180+ MegaBytes/sec into a virtual machine with two virtual 1Gb NICs.
TTr
Honored Contributor

You should not be looking only at the interfaces in an iSCSI environment. You should be looking at what is behind the interfaces both at the server end and at the storage end.
On the server side you need to take into account the i/o slot where the iSCSI interface is plugged in and the i/o bus speed. The server must also be fast enough to absorb the i/o as well.

Similarly on the storage. The storage system must be able to keep up with the interface so that it can supply or accept the data fast enough. This translates to fast storage controllers, cache and disks.

You mention 12TB of data, you can get that with 6 2TB disks but can the 6 disks sustain i/o for a 4Gbe interface?

And lastly unles your server is directly attached to the storage, you have to consider the network in between. Does it have the required bandwidth?

PS. You can only get 4Gbe if you trunk 4 1Gbe ports.