108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P4500 Raid 5 volumes consumed space over the expected

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marcelo_22
Occasional Advisor

P4500 Raid 5 volumes consumed space over the expected

Hi, I have a P4500 where I configured some Raid 5 volumes. When I check the comsumed space of these volumes it shows me more than the expected. For example:

A 800GB volume shows 1,93TB of consumed space and another 800GB volume shows 1.56TB in the same array. Does anybody can help me to understand this behavior?

RAID 10 volumes show exactly the double

Thanks in advance

P4500_1.JPG

P4500_2.JPG

P4500_3.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Nick Salty
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marcelo,

I think that the expected space consumed would be related to the number of nodes in your storage cluster. Network RAID 5 will be consuming some space for data and parity on all your nodes.

Network RAID 10 will just be mirroring the data between two nodes or two 'sties' (as defined in the cmc in a multi-site cluster)

From the CMC help file:

Network RAID-5 divides the data into stripes and adds parity. Network RAID stripe spans three to five storage systems including single parity. Data in a volume configured with Network RAID-5 is available and preserved in the event that any single storage system becomes unavailable.

Network RAID-5 volumes are configured as thin provisioned by default.

Best applications for using Network RAID-5 volumes include applications with mostly read, sequential workloads, such as file shares and archiving.

Nick

bryan_hadzik
Frequent Advisor

Network RAID 5 only has a sinble block of parity. That doesn't account for have more than 2x consumed space over provisioned space. My guess is that you have snapshots on those volumes. That is what is eating up the space.

Emilo
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The problem is that you have made the volume full provisoned, which when you made the volume you had to agree or press through a bunch of warnings against doing this. Set the volume back to thin and you will get you space back.

Marcelo_22
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everybody.