1753366 Members
5831 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P4500 snapshots getting only 4kb/s transfer

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: P4500 snapshots getting only 4kb/s transfer

I know that when I most recently contacted support they claimed to only supported speeds greater than 3GB/s, which makes no sense. They wouldn't even attempt to troubleshoot until I met those requirements.
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

@Chris

Are you serious? What did they mean by the only support speeds over 3Gbps? (They expect everyone to be running 10G ethernet?)

I would actually request to be escalated at that point to the next support level or ask to speak with the support group manager. Unfortunately, it seems like you can be hit and miss with the support guys.
larry-cgb
Advisor

I have the same issue just send over 100meg - have a thread here. I think the issue is when you create a new volume, do a rebuild, change volume size or other back ground tasks the remote copy goes to the bottom of the list. Pushing the slider to 40 helps me to use more of my 100 meg pipe but still not all. I only have a production SAN so my testing is limited. My rate dropped down to 4k as well. After clearing out the other tasks I got things usable over my 100 meg WAN.

Well I think we have the same issue so I hope this information helps. Latter in the week I plan on opening a support ticket with HP, just want to collect all the results of my testing first.
TBone_2

I just came across this thread, and wanted to add my details.

I have two pairs of LH SANs, each set up in a cluster. They eventually will be located in different offices connected by a DSL WAN. However for the moment, they are all together connected to a Gb switch with the NICs set in ALB mode. There are no connections to the SANs and there is no data access.

I am trying to do a remote snapshot and the maximum bandwidth I was getting was about the same as yours (8,000Kb/sec), I had already turned the remote bandwidth up to 1Gb and it didn't help. However after reading these posts, I changed the Local Bandwidth Priority up to 40, and the transfer rate jumped up to 160,000Kb/sec.

So could anyone comment why changing the local bandwidth would affect the remote copy rate?
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

This is just an estimate, but if I copy over a very large chunk of data my speed is really good. It appears that the system is trying to span out the copy until the next copy is scheduled. example, if I'm doing snaps every 30 minutes, it will take about 30 minutes to copy over 10 megs, or 30 minutes to copy over 10 GBs. This may be to conserve bandwidth?? not sure since LeftHand support told me that I needed 3GB dedicated to to these snapshots.