StoreVirtual Storage
1753437 Members
4956 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

P4500G2 Fans running full speed

KGradert

P4500G2 Fans running full speed

We just got 2 4500G2s  in last week and sicne hooking them up, but not adding them to the cluster yet, the fans are running full speed.

The 2 G2s are putting out about double the noise of the previous G1s.  Any suggestions?

We don't want to add them to our existing cluster until we know f it's an issue or not.

I've got an open ticket, but since it took almost 3 hours on hold to even get that open, and they are now well over an hour past 4 hour response, I am not having much faith in being assisted today.

12 REPLIES 12
Jonathan_Aldred
Occasional Advisor

Re: P4500G2 Fans running full speed

I'm just opening a case for exactly the same problem!

What was your solution ?

Regards

Jonathan

lando_uk
Advisor

Boot the nodes up with the latest smartstart dvd, run some diagnostics, see if you have any errors.

Jonathan_Aldred
Occasional Advisor

@lando_uk wrote:

Boot the nodes up with the latest smartstart dvd, run some diagnostics, see if you have any errors.

Unlike the original poster, I've noticed this problem is effecting only 1x node of a cluster of 4x nodes.

HP System Management Homepage reports nothing degraded and the ILO reports all fans running at 47% speed.

There are no error's/alerts in CMC too.

lando_uk
Advisor

Fans also ramp up when the inlet temp senser hits a certain value,   our nodes went crazy once when one of our AC units failed. Check temps via the Hardware Information tab on the node, in the CMC.

R23422
Visitor

Did you get anywhere with this?

We have 1 node of 4 with the same issue, all temps are fine and no errors anywhere. Just a lot of noise and accelerated wear and tear...Not sure I want to put it in production as is.

/Rob

Emilo
Trusted Contributor

Run diagnostics.

Goto logs and download the firmware.log and note the bios and IMPI versions.

Also goto the systems management page and make sure it detects no issues.

Jonathan_Aldred
Occasional Advisor

I called HP support in the end....

They got me to generate diag's in various different ways and after finding nothing wrong they sent an engineer to replace the motherboard.

That fixed the problem immediatley!

R23422
Visitor

Ok,

I'm opening a case on this. The faulty node reports running at 47% fan speed (and the others at 50%) but from the sound of it, its at least twice the speed of the others.

Thanks for your time.

/Rob

Jonathan_Aldred
Occasional Advisor

No problem

Sounds like exactly the same problem I found....

Good luck sorting it out :-)