6277 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SMI-S provider for HP P4000

JoeHodkinson
Occasional Contributor

SMI-S provider for HP P4000

Good afternoon,

Does anyone know if HP are going to support SMI-S on their P4000 range anytime soon? Now that VMM 2012 has gone RTM I would like to start managing my P4300 with VMM 2012.

Thanks, Joe

10 REPLIES 10
PeterBUK

I too would also love to know if anything is in the pipe line for this, as we are big users of Hyper-V and Lefthand so would love to get SCVMM 2012 managing this for us.

Come on HP give us an answer! :)

Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Guys,

I am not answering to your question directly but here is the HP website that lists SMI-S support options and if Lefthand joins the group it will be listed here too:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/smis.html

My 2 cents worth.

David_Tocker
Regular Advisor

I have an update! I have spent the last year or so trying to work my way through the HP food chain to try and determine an answer to this question. After hitting up a HP roadshow rep about this he slipped that apparently an SMI-S provider is going to be included with SanIQ v10. Apparently november is the current time-frame. If this is the case then the P4000 is about to become ready for primetime with SCVMM 2012!

Regards.

David Tocker
HQE Admins
Frequent Visitor

SAN/iQ V10.0 (or LeftHand OS as they are now calling it) has now been released and I see not mention of SMI-S support. Is this just an oversight in the release notes or are we still waiting for support for this feature to be included in SAN/iQ?

Mobius_

Has anyone tested to see if SMI-S is actually there yet? 

If not, I think a response from HP on when this feature would be available is deserved. 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I agree SMI-S is important and HP better impliment it soon or they will get left behind as a valid SAN solution for Hyper-V shops.  That said, I think I saw somewhere that they were working on it, but it wasn't ready for v10 and should be out in some future minor release.  I thought I saw it somewhere on this forum in a discussion about talk of the release date of v10, so I wouldn't put much stock into what I'm saying.

HP, if you monitor this forum, get your ass in gear and add this functionality!

beigewell
Frequent Visitor

I just upgraded my Lefthand 4500 to 10.0.000.1488 and it still doesn't seem to be there. It would be nice if HP could actually give us an indication if we are never goign to get it. Or at least give us a best guess at when it might be available. I had heard someone at HP say they required Microsoft to make a change to Server 2012 or System Center? However SP1 for SC 2012 got released a couple of weeks ago now. I am wondering how HP use Lefthand SAN's in the VC systems and SCVMM? Do they just use iSCSI to control the storage in those through SCVMM?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I don't know where it was mentioned, but in one of the release notes they said SMI-S wasn't included in V10, but would be comming out in a minor release in "the near future."  I think their complaint was the microsoft implimentation of SMI-S wasn't standard and they needed more information from MS to get it working, but that smells of BS to me.

IMO, v10 is a very lame update and if v11 sees the same kind of improvement as the change from 9->10, the HP solution will quickly become irrelivant in the storage market.  All it really included was multiple vCPU support for VSAs which just made that official as opposed to something that worked in 9.5 but wasn't technically supported... yay (/sarcasm)

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

LeftHand OS 10.5 is now out. Still no SMI-S nor any mention. No ODX. No SMB3. No dedup.

These units are seriously falling behind the competition. HP needs to get their act together.