StoreVirtual Storage
1748035 Members
4953 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Store Virtual VSA - "all in one" vmware system - need local storage for vcenter?

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

Store Virtual VSA - "all in one" vmware system - need local storage for vcenter?

So I need to stand up a totally isolated 3 host VSA with VMware system. Totally green fields.

The three servers each have 5x 1TB SAS drives, and also 32GB micro SDs for booting ESXi.

My question is - in order to install this, I need to first get the host ESXi installed on SD. No problem. But then - I need a vcenter server before I can install and configure the VSAs, don't I?

The SD is not large enough, after ESXi, to accomodate a vCenter VM even temporarily I think.

I could use the disks to create one large array, and then carve off a small raid 5 logical drive, that could be used for local storage, and then a 2nd logical drive of "all the rest" of the available disk. Does that make sense?

My gut tells me it would be better to have two dedicated smaller boot disks for ESXi, that would leave room enough to put a vcenter on while I'm standing up the VSAs.

What do you think? Or - can I install and configure the VSAs before I have a vcenter?

1 REPLY 1
Joris Vliegen
Advisor

Re: Store Virtual VSA - "all in one" vmware system - need local storage for vcenter?

Hi Ted,

You can configure the VSA's before you have a vCenter. Just import the template on each ESX.

Kind regards,

Joris VLiegen