StoreVirtual Storage
1752801 Members
5578 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreVirtual Multipathing Extension Module for vSphere 5.5 missing VMFS datastores

Princes
Advisor

Re: StoreVirtual Multipathing Extension Module for vSphere 5.5 missing VMFS datastores

Possibly of relevance: ESXi Build is HP with 'Support Bundle' (i.e. with the HP drivers, AMS, and other apps). Firmware revision (SPP) on the two HP DL 380 Gen9 Servers is: 2015.06.0-SPP2015060.2015_0605.106.

david11
Advisor

Re: StoreVirtual Multipathing Extension Module for vSphere 5.5 missing VMFS datastores

Good to know, I also used HP's esxi builds that were posted on vmware's site for our servers.

Mabye g9 doesnt have the issue but I'm leery, let us know back in a few weeks - 1 month and let us know if its still going strong for you.

Happy thanksgiving all!

NDBT
Advisor

I attempted the manual CLI install of this driver to one of my hosts.  It failed in a spectacular fashion.  After running the install of the driver and rebooting the host all of my datastores disappeared from the host. I had not even enabled the driver on any of the datastores. 

Uninstalling the driver resolved the issue. I did not attempt of the procedures mentioned in this thread to resolve as I won't take a chance with my production environment.  Round Robin satisfies our needs for now.

david11
Advisor

Thanks for adding to the conversation, it appears this driver has horrible issues, still hoping HP will answer about this.

Also note when installing the driver, after a reboot, it auto grabs every volume using the new driver by default and for all newly created datastores going forward, its by design.  This is why uninstalling helped fix it in your case, it probably went back to default vmware pathing.  Make sure however you still set it to VmWare_Round Robin with IO set to 1.  You will see the best performance settings on this when using the HP lefthands from my experience.

NDBT
Advisor

david11
Advisor

So this fixes the problem for good or is just another way to re-establish paths after random failure?  It seems to read the in the direction of a way to fix it after everything crashes. 

I hope they release a permanant fix to the problem.  Also not sure if it applies to most of us as the paths are done through dynamic discovery on my setup using the VIP of the lefthand arrays.

Let me know though if these steps work as a permanant fix and the driver becomes completely stable after doing this.

Thanks,

David

ICT_Krimpen

david11
Advisor

Does it fix it after the problem occurs, or is it a permanant fix after installing the MEM driver?

How long have you been running stable since doing this? 

SCROYSE

How long have you been running using the MEM? Is it still functional or have you had complications/downtime as a result? I'm looking at deploying to my environment as it is starting to sound as if the issue is resolved, but I want to hear from those brave enough to test for the rest of us.

NDBT
Advisor

I'm definitely not brave enough to try.