StoreVirtual Storage
1752793 Members
6351 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Trying to use "Not Provisioned" space

Mark Marihugh

Trying to use "Not Provisioned" space

Hi all. I'm new to managing SANs and I have a Lefthand P4000. What I have is 4TB provisioned for volumes, and I also have 1.5TB that says "Not Provisioned". How do I go about getting that 1.5TB added to the 4TB provisioned space?

Thanks in advance!

See attachment for what I'm talking about.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to use "Not Provisioned" space

Well, you could increase the size of existing volume(s) (=make them larger) or create additional volumes.

What is the best way depends on the current configuration (data layout, operating systems, ...) - we can't make a suggestion without more information.

Ruben Renders
Frequent Advisor

Like Uwe Zessin mentioned, you can decrease the unprovisionned space by:

- expanding existing volumes;

- creating new volumes.

To be honnest I don't see the issue with the non-provisionned space.

This is a really good buffer for the future and is required when using thin-provisionned volumes.

If the space is not required by any host, I would keep the setup like it is.

Ruben

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

This is free space that is not utilized (or assigned) to existing volumes...

You can use this space indeed (like mentioned above) by creating new volumes or extend existing volumes...

However I suggest always to keep some free space available, and not assign all the available MB's to the volumes for performance reasons...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !