1748169 Members
3862 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

update 8.1 to 8.5

Harald Malek
Occasional Contributor

update 8.1 to 8.5

have anybody know how, how i can update from my CMC, P4500 and VSA 4000 from 8.1 to 8.5

which sequence: first CMC or P4500

documentation etc
16 REPLIES 16
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Re: update 8.1 to 8.5

This is the path:

1. Install Updated CMC.
2. If applicable, upgrade the DSM's for MPIO.
3. Upgrade all Remote Clusters (normal -> managers -> VIPs).
4. Then in your local Clusters upgrade normal nodes (non manager/non VIP).
5. Upgrade managers
6. Upgrade VIP.

Then sit back and enjoy your 8.5 installation!
Harald Malek
Occasional Contributor

to 1: ok
to 2: i have no DSM`s for MPIO
to 3: what you meen with remote Cluster?
to 4: what you meen with non manager/non VIP
to 5: who can i do this?
to 6: who can i do this?

the upgrade for the node, i remove one node from the cluster turned off and boot with the CD?
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

A remote cluster is a group of nodes at a remote site that you push remote snapshots to. Since you are unaware of them, I will assume you don't have any.

By non-manager/nonVIP I mean nodes that are just Storage Servers. You can tell if a node is a Manager by clicking on the node in the CMC and looking at the Status field. It will either say "Storage Server Normal" or "Storage Server Normal, Manager Normal".

You can find what node is your VIP by clicking on the cluster in the CMC and clicking the iSCSI tab. You will see the storage node that is currently running as VIP (Virtual IP). Make note of that node as it will be the last one you will upgrade.

So your sequence would be:

1. Upgrade CMC.
2. Upgrade standard nodes (those that are not the VIP and show "Storage Server Normal" in the status in the CMC).
3. Upgrade the manager nodes (those that are not the VIP and show "Storage Server Normal, Manager Normal" in the CMC).
4 Upgrade the VIP, the node you saw iin the iSCSI tab when clicking on the cluster in the CMC.

Now you are done!
Harald Malek
Occasional Contributor

thank you

how can i upgrade the nodes?
only by CD or ofer "install software" in CMC?
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

Make sure you download the upgrade files from:

ftp://saniq85:SAN85eap@ftp.usa.hp.com/

And you would do it from the CMC. Right click on a node and select Install Software. Then choose the upgrade file you downloaded from above and select the node you want to upgrade.

I'm sure HP/LH support could walk you through the first one so you can get the hang of it.
Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

Is it me or has the 8.5 release been handled really badly by HP? Normally with IT equipment, when new versions are released, the manufacturer makes some hoo-ha about it, you get some release notes showing what's new and what's fixed in this release, you get a walkthrough guide on how to upgrade including pre and post upgrade tasks and gotcha's to watch out for, and generally offer a bit of help on it. There's been practically nothing released by HP apart from the press release back in February that there was a new version coming out which increased usable space on your P4000 and a brief podcast on the Around the Storage Block blog. Oh and the new SAN/IQ 8.5 files. You have to figure out what to do with them to upgrade and what you'll get out of doing so.
Harald Malek
Occasional Contributor

i have no post from hp!
have you the upgrade guide?

have anyone upgrade the vsa from 8.1 to 8.5?
can i upgrade over the cmc the vsa without loosing data?

Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

The release has been much the same as it has been in the past with other releases. Even when it was just LeftHand doing it.

Basically, 8.5 is still so new that they aren't quite pushing it. I think you'll see a greater push as the power users and the such adopt it.

All the guides are available at the link I posted above. You may need to download the ISO's for things and then burn them for the documentation.

Harald, I would highly suggest you contact HP support directly and ask them your questions.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sigh, sigh, sigh.

This is such a great product, but the communication and the way the software / documentation is provided...

well, let's be civil and say there is a lot room for improvement...