4387 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Vss snapshots with backup exec 2010 and P4000

johan duchateau
Occasional Contributor

Vss snapshots with backup exec 2010 and P4000

hello,

When we try to make an offhost backup using backup exec 2010,(we installed the lefthand vss provider on the servers)

a snapshot is created,but in the iscsi iniator on the backupserver the snapvolume indicated reconnecting and the job

does not complete .

We assigned read-write writes for the backupserver on the volume where the snapshot is taken from.

we have selected as VSS provider : automatic but also hardware provider with the same result.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Johan

3 REPLIES 3
morriskr
Occasional Contributor

Make sure you have VSS checkbox selected in BackupExec.  I have stopped using BckupExec and now use Windows Backup in Windows 2008 R2 to a dedicated external eSATA device.  Too many problems with BackupExec on servers.  For many years that was not always the case.  I have restored into the SAN many times with no problems (Oracle and MS SQL Server).  Even used SAN disk once to test concept of using Windows Backup.

johan duchateau
Occasional Contributor

Yes I did check the VSS.Everything works fine: backup is initiated,the vss snapshot is taken is just does not connect from the P4500 SAN with SAN IQ 9 to the backupserver (the iscsi volume vss snapshot is visible but stays in reconnecting state)

We need backupexec for single instance restores of sharepoint,Exchange etc...and that is(as far as I know) not possible with windows backup.

Anyone else with this problem  and maybe a solution ?

Thanks.

bublik
Valued Contributor

If you take vss snapshot manually from the command line vshadow.exe -p c: 

replace c: with whatever the disk you need to snapshot...

Can you then present that snap to your backup server?

Is VSS installed on 2003 or 2008 servers? If 2008, did you import the credentials.reg file into the registry?