StoreVirtual Storage
1748000 Members
4902 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows 2008 Dynamic Volumes are they supported?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shamus27
Occasional Visitor

Windows 2008 Dynamic Volumes are they supported?

With a P4000 - with a standard thin or full provisioned Volume is a dynamic volume supported when is the disk managment MMC in Windows 2008R2.

It doesn't work for me and was wondering should it?

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can definitely connect a windows server to a LUN (thick or thin) and configure a disk as a dynamic disk.  I"ve done it for both.  Actually used is as a screwed up way to do a live migration from one array to another by setting up a raid1 mirror of the os and the after it was synced I broke it and removed the original drive.  That isn't something I woudl suggest doing as a standard migration method, but it worked when I had no other option.

What do you want a dynamic disk LUN?  Only reason I could think is for a DPM server or the situation I said above.

Shamus27
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your reply and answer.

A test team asked for them, to shrink and expand volumes and then recreate.

Have tried again and can convert a disk from basic to dynamic but cannot create a dynamic disk from a new volume presented, that helps a lot.

Joris Vliegen
Advisor

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The document states that 2003 and older is not supported but 2008 and higher yes...

So if U have 2008 it should be OK...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
oikjn
Honored Contributor

interesting.  I was using 2008 and can say that manual reconnection is definitely not a problem.