-Hardware-
1x 5406zl
2x 3500yl
(All have Fibre links).

-VLAN's-
VLAN1 Defaul
VLAN2 VoIP
VLAN3 Data
I need to configure the the 2x 3500yl to work with the 3x VLans configured for data and voice on the 5406zl.

On a previous post Joel Belizario started to point me in the right direction.

-------------------------------
You should create the VLANs on the 2 new switches and tag the uplinks with all VLANs.

IP routing should be turned off on these switches as your "mothership" switch should be doing the routing between VLANs.

Do not assign any IP addresses in the VOIP and Data VLANs, but assign IP addresses in the default VLAN for management access.

-------------------------------

I assume that means only on the 2x 3500yl?

I should still configure the 1x 5406zl as i normally would and tagg all VLANs on the Fibre uplinks on all the switchs?

Thx,
Karl.

8 REPLIES 8
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: 3x Switchs - 3x VLANs - 1x Topology.

Hi Karl,

Yes don't assign IPs to the VLANs on your edge (3500yl) switches. When you assign an IP address to a VLAN you are creating a virtual router for that network.

I'm not sure if I mentioned keeping VLAN 1 untagged in the previous thread or not - I believe some 3rd party equipment does not let you tag VLAN 1 (or whatever default VLAN you have specified).

Cheers,
Joel
Karl Collinson
Frequent Advisor

Is there anything I need to do for the virtual route?

Also, is there anything I need to do with the Uplink ports?
Thx,
Karl.

Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Karl, see my reply in the other thread.

Cheers,
Joel
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Firstly, are you doing any routing on the switches?

I'll assume not... for now so we wont have any IP addresses on the switches for the vlans 2 and 3.

On the 5406 create the new vlans (vlan 1 already there)

vlan 2 name VoIP
vlan 3 name Data

vlan 1 need to have an ip address.

ip address 192.168.1.0/24

now you should tag the uplinks to the fibre connections for both vlans (and leave vlan 1 as untagged).

to do so.

vlan 2 tag b1(or whatever the uplink port is)
vlan 2 tag b2 (etc)
vlan 3 tag b1
vlan 3 tag b2

to make sure they are untagged in vlan 1 you can.
vlan 1 untag b1
vlan 1 untag b2

now on the 3500.

in vlan 1 give it an ip address

vlan 1 ip address 192.168.1.x/24

create vlan 2 and 3

vlan 2 name VoIP
vlan 3 name Data

now on these switches tag the uplinks to look exactly the same as core.

so...
vlan 2 tag 24(or whatever the uplink port is)
vlan 3 tag 24

and thats basically it.

Your vlans are created.

now if you are creating completely seperate voice and data networks there is no tagging of ports required on the switches.

For instance on a 3500 switch you might decide to have ports 1-12 on vlan 2 and ports 13-23 on vlan 3.

to do so.

vlan 2 untag 1-12
vlan 3 untag 13-23

now plug the phones into port 1-12
and the pc's into 13-23

That should be all you need to do based on what you said you want to acheive.

Karl Collinson
Frequent Advisor

Fantastic..
Thx All!!!
Thx Ryan for the detailed break dwn.

I will be doing routing on the Core switch as the VoIP and Data will need to talk to each other for Callview and Phonemanager.

So on the Core
Ip routing

Also will be

Ip routing 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 RO.UT.ER.IP
+ Will also have the static Address's in the router to allow for Internet usage on the Data VLAN.

Do i need to be aware of any possible issues with me sending Two DHCP Services down the Uplinks on seperate VLANS?
"Im assuming not, but just want to dot the I's and X the T's"

Thx,
Karl.
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

The easiest way to do DHCP is via one DHCP server for both of the subnets (or all 3 depending on what your trying to DHCP).

To do this you use the ip address-helper command.

Also as you are going to do routing. On the Core switch all the VLANS will need to have an IP address (on the 5406). Only on the core will you use your ip address-helper aswell (not on the 3500).

The default router in your DHCP scopes for the different scopes points to the IP address you have set on the core router for that vlan.

Goodluck. It's a pretty basic setup you shouldnt have to many problems.

I should recommend you go to the procurve foundation edge training. That training is great to learn this basic stuff.
Karl Collinson
Frequent Advisor

Afternoon All..

I understand on the small switch's not to assign an IP address to the Data and VoIP VLAN only the Default VLAN... (As stated by Ryan G)..

[Question] Do i only assign an IP address to the Data and VoIP VLAN's on the 5406..? (Will be using Layer 3 Routing).

[Question] All though the 5406 is doing all the routing and has all 3x IP's for the VLANS.. Do i still config the smaller switchs with the Voice command and the QoS commands?

Thx,
Karl.

Colonelk
Frequent Advisor

Karl

Yes and Yes.

Its working perfectly in my new network like this. The "Master switch" has an IP address on the management Vlan, and on the voice and data vlans. The edge switches only have an ip address in the management vlan (for management purposes!_ Layer 3 routing on my 2900 handles connectivity between the VLAN's

In my network I have:

192.168.3.1 Main 2900
192.168.3.2 Second 2900
192.168.3.3 Third 2900

Main 2900 also has IP's

Vlan 10 voice 192.168.4.1
vlan 20 data 192.168.5.1

Appropriate tagging on the uplink ports between the master and edge switches.

Then my voice clients have 192.168.4.1 as the default gateway, and my data clients have 192.168.5.1 as their default gateway, all set via dhcp.

My master then forwards to my ISA server for all external routing.

Works a treat.

Tino