New Discussion юеВ

9300 / 9400 Traffic Monitoring in PCM 2.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

9300 / 9400 Traffic Monitoring in PCM 2.2

Hi all,

Traffic monitoring is working like a charm in PCM 2.2, however we're seeing no detailed sflow info from our 9300 and 9400 switches. The devices are configured correctly and PCM can obtain configurations from them as well as standard stats. The switches are manually configured to send sflow to PCM on the default ports but the graphs always show basic 'Others' info.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: 9300 / 9400 Traffic Monitoring in PCM 2.2

Jason,

I may be interpreting your "The switches are manually configured to send sFlow to PCM on the default ports" statement, so I'll apologize ahead of time if that's the case.

PCM does not support externally-configured sFlow streams, meaning that if you use the 9x00 CLI to configure sFlow and "point" the resulting sample stream at PCM it won't work. Instead, use the right-mouse selection on the 9x00 ports in the PCM Traffic Overview screen (you can multi-select ports) to manually enable sampling on the 9x00 ports; PCM should configure the sFlow MIB appropriately so that you get sample data from the specified ports. This was a design decision made in PCM 2.2 to ensure that PCM knows about the devices that it's receiving sFlow samples from, so it can associate the resulting traffic data with DBIDs for the devices and their ports. PCM may be enhanced in the future to support the "point-and-shoot" mode in which the device CLI can be configured and sFlow data obtained without PCM having to do the MIB configuration itself, but there is no concrete plan for that at the moment. As a related side question - how important is it for PCM to accept "point-and-shoot" data, and if it's important to you why?

If instead of meaning that you've configured sFlow via CLI you meant that you've configured it manually via the PCM Traffic Overview screen then there's something else amiss, so let me know if that's the case.

Regards,

SVB
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Re: 9300 / 9400 Traffic Monitoring in PCM 2.2

That it explains it, thank you. I've removed the manual configurations and will let PCM do the work instead.

Cheers.