108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: bpdu protection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon Merckx
Advisor

bpdu protection

I have STP enabled on my procurve switches.
I have also some cisco switches that are running PVST. I am going to switch tot Rapid STP when al the cisco are gone.
I heard that RSTP en PVST are not compatible.

I want to enale bpdu protection on my edge ports to prevent loops. But the command seems only available when a procurve is in RSTP mode.
I this true?
Loop protect is always available, but does it work when there is a loop between two switches?
Two adjacent wall connections don't always go to the same switch.
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

yes, PVST is not compatible with standard STP/RSTP/MSTP...

hard to provide absolute info not knowing which procurve switches you have...

reading in the 5400 manual, bpdu protection appears to be available in STP,RSTP,MSTP modes...

pvst filtering/protection is only available in MSTP mode...

loop protection might work if one of the switches drops STP packets...but if the 2 switches connected together have STP (one of the protocols) enabled, then bdpu filtering/protection will/could work...

you may need to work on the physical layer a bit to resolve some of your potential loop issues...i know not the best answer, but it may be what has to be done...

hth...jeff
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

yes, PVST is not compatible with standard STP/RSTP/MSTP...

hard to provide absolute info not knowing which procurve switches you have...

reading in the 5400 manual, bpdu protection appears to be available in STP,RSTP,MSTP modes...

pvst filtering/protection is only available in MSTP mode...

loop protection might work if one of the switches drops STP packets...but if the 2 switches connected together have STP (one of the protocols) enabled, then bdpu filtering/protection will/could work...

you may need to work on the phica layer a bit to resolve some of your potential loop issues...i know not the best answer, but it may be what has to be done...

hth...jeff
Simon Merckx
Advisor

I am using 2950 procurve switches.

You say that BPDU protection is available in STP mode on the 5400. But when I put a 2950 in STP mode, the BPDU protection command is not available. Only when I put it in RSTP mode.
That protection can also work in STP mode I presume? Why is the that command not available in that mode?

I also tested loop protect on a 2950 with the latest firmware (10.50) and enabled it with:
loop-protect 1-48. When I make loops it doesn't detect them.
Show loop-protect says that loop-protect is running and that there are no detected loops.
This was an isolated switch with no traffic on it. Is that the reason?
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

ok...

according to the 2650 10.50 rel notes, bpdu protection is only available in RSTP/MSTP mode...can't say why, that's what the docs indicate...

loop protect only works when you have another device that drops bpdu pkts connecting between 2 switches that do pass/understand bdpu pkts...so connecting a loop on the same switch w/LP enabled, doesn't meet the criteria...then you would need bpdu protection...

confusing at best i agree...
Simon Merckx
Advisor

I did some more testing with loop protect.
It only works reliable when you set the transmit interval to 1 second. You also have to set a disable interval.
If you set the interval to 0, loop-protect doesn't seem to work.

With the above settings, it works if you make a loop between to switches and also when you make a loop on the same switch.

Thanks for your advice.