1753261 Members
4893 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting two procurve 2510g switches

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

As from the "advanced trafic mangement guide", The dual personality port are no different then other network ports.
As seen in the image of my previous post, normal RJ45 ports, dual-peronality RJ45 ports. and dual personality modules are all useable to connect other switches.
Without GBIC or SFP module, the RJ45 connector is active. When a module is placed the corresponding RJ-45 port is automatically disabled.

From that point of view, the switches should not go down when multiply connected and spanning-tree is active, they should only block one path.
When configured as port trunks (LACP) multiple links can be active.

The 2510 "stack" only means a central point of management.
This is not the same as a cisco 3750-stack. But more like cisco "cluster" switch wich also uses a single command-switch to control the others.
martinhk

I also have a few questions re. the 2510 G stacking capabilities - I'm used to using Cisco 3750's so presumed that the "stack" feature on the 2510 G was similar. Obviously not.

Can two 2510 G switches be setup so as to appear as a virtual single switch? Can the ports on switch two be part of a static vlan on switch 1?

Thanks.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Martin,
i think you'd better start a new thread, with a refference to this one.

but for your questions:
- no, the 2510's don't form a stack as the cisco's do.
The cisco 3750's form a single switching backplane (fabric) using special "stack cables".
the 2510's from a stack only to be managed from a central point.
cisco 2950's also had the "switch management cluster" wich is more similar to this HP-stack.

- yes, vlan's can (are designed to) span multiple switches .
you need to configure connecting ports on both switches as "tagged" in all vlans that must cross to the other switch.
then on each switch you configure a port as "untagged" in a vlan for a connected device must connect through this vlan.