4737 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dynamic Vlan overview

Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

Dynamic Vlan overview

HI All

I am going to implement Dynamic vlans in the new year and have a couple of question to help get my head around it first.

1. GVRP - this is dynamic vlans for switches, do I need this for Dynamic vlans using 802.1x auth and dynamic vlans.

2. In regards to GVRP Endnodes. How do client PC's become endnodes? and how do you assign them a vlan ( I assumed this is why we use 802.1x).

3. There seems ot be some confusion about vlan ID's vs VLAN names. I will be using microsoft ISA, and the TunnelтИТPvtтИТGroupтИТID value. What am i setting here, is it the vlan name or subnet or vlan id?

Thanks in advance. This forum is fantastic :)
4 REPLIES 4
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

1- No, you do not /need/ GVRP to do this. However, if you have a moderate to large amount of switches and VLANs, or will be adding new vlans often, it might be beneficial to use it anyway. GVRP makes sure that the right vlans are available on the right switches without you having to manually configure trunks inbetween them.

2- They do not, you assign a vlan from RADIUS. Clients have nothing to do with GVRP.

3- This I don't know for sure, but I would assume the vlan number.
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Marco.

So just another thing, a standard client (say windows xp), on the switch do i set that port as a authenticator or a supplement?
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

You mean supplicant, which is the bit of software on the client that does the 802.1x negotiation.

So authenticator.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor